Railroad Forums 

• From "Fallen Flags" To Municipalities, Buildings, Light Rail Lines

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1514953  by Gilbert B Norman

Progressive Railroading wrote:DART estimates the coThe 26-mile Cotton Belt commuter-rail line will extend between Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Shiloh Road Station in Plano, and will connect to three existing DART light-rail lines. The agency anticipates the design-build project will be completed by 2022......The Cotton Belt line will connect to DART's existing Orange, Green and Red lines, as well as to Trinity Metro's TEXRail, a 27-mile regional commuter line between DFW Airport and downtown Fort Worth.
"Haftasayluvit" how Texas recycles the names of their "Fallen Flag" railroads. There is a city near Houston named Katy and another in the DFW area named Frisco. Further, in Dallas, I noted an older "recycled" building with "Missouri Kansas Texas - Texas" still emblazoned in Gold Leaf on its front.

And now, the Cotton Belt becomes a DART rail line

Wonder how much in royalties are paid to BNSF and UP for these "Fallen Flag" trademarks? I understand UP is aggressive in their enforcement of such.
 #1524784  by 2nd trick op

The term "Fallen Flags" is slowly expanding to other modes of transportation; I can recall a letter to the Editor of Trains calling attention to the presence of trailers both parent company Arkansas Best (ABF) and recently-acquired (at that time) Carolina Freight in a single intermodal consist. And there has, for about a year, been a Yahoo group called "Fallen Flags" -- honoring extinct trucking companies. One of my posts there calls attention to the role of DPM in coining the term.

There are probably a few parallels in the maritime and airline industries as well.