Railroad Forums 

• From PGH to STL via Chicago

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#137431  by LAUNCHman

I'm going out of my way to take Pittsburgh to St. Louis by train this summer instead of by bus or airplane.

Saving $22 off the retail Greyhound price (though losing a bit if I could catch a bus special) and saving a lot by not trying to find airports and flying.

The trip will take about an hour longer than the bus route despite diverting to Chicago. However there is a 7 to 10 hour layover in CHI, depending on which Amtrak connection to STL I catch. What's there to do walking distance of CHI train station? Has anyone here made the trip before despite the layover? Thoughts/suggestions?

#137468  by AmtrakFan

The Sears Tower, Ride Metra, Lots of railfanning, Michigan Ave. etc.

#137490  by LAUNCHman

thank you, AmtrakFan. too bad it won't be baseball season by the time I go else I'd see Wrigley too. these attractions will be very good though.

#137535  by Rockingham Racer

Check out the other 3 terminals in town, two of which are a short walk from Union Station: LaSalle St. and the Olgivie Transportation Center. But don't hold you're breath: they don't have the character that Union has.
Randolph St. station is a hike, but too bad a bus ride.
It's been redone recently, so I can't tell you what it's like.

#137544  by MikeF

The "new" Randolph Street station has absolutely none of the character of Union Station, but it does feature an attractive, modern motif.

Also within a moderately long walk or a relatively short bus ride are three of Chicago's world-renowned museums in the Roosevelt Road Museum Campus -- the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum of Natural History. All highly recommended.

Or, walk west from Union Station a few blocks to Halsted Street and enjoy a meal and shopping in Greektown.