• Friday (2/18) sightings

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by mike

While out and about yesterday, I saw a purple colored unit sitting close to the Walbridge Rd crossing in Walbridge with the letters ICE or something close to that under the cab windows. There was also a logo on the long hood shaped similar to a W. I assume it's another leaser on CSX, but whose engine was this originally? I've personally never seen one before.

It was busy when I went through around 1:30 as well...NS had 3 trains waiting at Vicker's for the first of 2 CSX southbounds waiting to get into Walbridge. Was also a CSX train sitting on the Pennsy waiting to go towards Stanley

Also saw a patched SP sd70/sd60 from a distance. One of the NS trains also had a primer SD70 on the point.

What a time to be without a scanner...but nice to see that much going on.

by matt

Hey Mike, maybe the unit was from the Iowa, Chicago, and Eastern RR. I used to watch the action on their main line along the Illinois/Iowa border when I was younger when the line was owned by I&M Rail Link. Some of the worst tracks I have ever seen for a main line at Davenport but lots of interesting power, likely including what you saw.

I'll be joining you trackside if you don't mind when I see ten more degrees.

http://www.icerail.com/Sys%20Map.html

by railohio

Probably an ex-MRL or -IMRL unit that was conveyed to the IC&E upon creation of that road. Probably also isn't on lease to CSX and just ended up on the property through a run-through operation around Chicago. The logo sounds like the standard logo used by MRL parent Washington Corp. Now that the line is run by DM&E-controled IC&E most of the units are being repainted in their wonderful blue and yellow scheme.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=93990

by matt

Mike, you should have been at 292 today, 4 trains between 292 and ~291 all at once.

The first was a UP coal train with a 90-43 Mac from Detroit westward that stopped for a red.

Then stopping at 292 on track 1 was a westbound with 6 units led by new 70-Mac 2626 in primer, 4 units including a high nose in black, and a WC sd-45.

Then an eastbound reversed into one of the center tracks from the west with an sd 45 or 50.

And to complete the scene, an eastbound stack train of all marine containers rolled by on track 2 with BNSF and UP power.

Then, because of the stopped coal train blocking the entrance/exit to the intermodal terminal, a parade of trucks (including 2 Vermont Railway)decided to "rough it" westward along the mains to exit at Westwood instead of on Hill. Now that was quite a sight.

Like you, though, no scanner unfortunately.

by mike

Hey Matt.

Sounds like a nice variety, especially those truck off-roading!

When those ten degrees show up (like they did today) we'll get trackside again. I've been wanting to get out...