Railroad Forums 

• Freight yard just west of Buffalo Central Terminal?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1070334  by 25Hz

Which yard is to the west of old buffalo central terminal? I saw it when i was on the maple leaf, and also surprisingly enough in many railroad promotional videos from the 50's.

Also, what is that former yard looking area about half a mile south of the station, what was/is it used for?
 #1070448  by 25Hz

Fascinating.

The other yard has been prominently featured in at least 4 railroad productions. I find that one really interesting because it seems to have the same layout that it had in those films. That has to be 60 years minimum. Very long time for a yard to exist virtually unchanged especially through penn central years.
 #1070663  by Noel Weaver

The yard in question is/was the Stock Yard. In my time working in and out of Buffalo it was used by Conrail as an IM yard. I don't know if CSX still uses it for IM today or not.
Noel Weaver
 #1070769  by charlie6017

Noel Weaver wrote:The yard in question is/was the Stock Yard. In my time working in and out of Buffalo it was used by Conrail as an IM yard. I don't know if CSX still uses it for IM today or not.
Noel Weaver
Next time I'm out there, probably soon, I'll take a look out that way and let you know if anything is going on in there.

Charlie
 #1088661  by chnhrr

I meant to post this one earlier. I’m assuming that the stock yard was in the direction of the red arrow in the picture shown. There was another yard that aligned the south side of the terminal (green arrow). Was this for passenger car storage and servicing? There was also a fairly large interlocking tower on the east side of the terminal. What was the name of the tower and did it control any of the yards in question. Speaking of terminal ,why was the facility not designated as a station, since it appears it allowed for though traffic?
 #1093175  by KenK

Immediately west of and cionnecting to the Central Terminal and just north of the platforms were the baggage building and a separate REA (Railway Express Agency) building. These were serviced by a number of tracks coming off of the main and station trackage. I believe they were separated from the station platforms by tracks coming off of the "Beltline".
 #1093195  by erie2937

This view is looking west. Tower in foreground is S.S. 48. S.S. 49 was at west end of depot. The only yard west of the depot was the Stock Yard which consisted of 25 tracks with a capacity of 1054 cars. Source: NYCS Buffalo Yard Analysis Recommendations December 1, 1955. This was published to explain and or justify the construction of Frontier Yard which was identified then as "Proposed East Buffalo Yard".. Yards to be closed were identified as Gardenville Yard, HC Yard, SY Yard, Grain Yard, VI Yard, EA Yard, TR Yard, MI Yard, FS Yard, Stock Yard and West Shore Yard. The following yards were to be retained: Elmwood Avenue Yard, Military Yard, Buffalo Yard, Seneca Yard, New Yard(Kenmore), Harriet Yard, North Tonawanda Yard, Niagara Falls Yard. The proposed yard was to consist of 90 tracks with a capacity of 5870 cars. H.T. Guillaume