• Freight trackage rights over NJT?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by SPUI

I'm looking for a list of which freight railroads have trackage rights over NJT and where.
Also, somewhat related, where does NJT own but not operate track?
Is the NE Corridor the only NJT-operated track not owned by NJT (not counting the River LINE)?

Here's my start to it:
CMSL - Cape May Branch
M&E - Morristown line from where to where?
SRNJ - AC Line from Winslow Jct to east of Pleasantville, Cape May Branch
CR - Winslow Jct to Palermo, NE Corridor south of Oak Island Yard (?), Raritan Valley Line from Roselle Park to Oak Island Yard, North Jersey Coast Line from where to where?

And non-operated lines:
Winslow Jct to Palermo (or further?)
Tuckahoe to Cape May
spur to Cape May Point?

Thanks for any help.

by metman499

They also own the line that is out of service between Kingsland and Harrison. The yard in Harrision is still used to get to J. Supor and a food oils company by NS.

by Sirsonic

NS has:

The entire Hoboken Division, including the right to solicit and serve online customers.
The Raritan Line from Bound Brook to the Division Post at MP 60. (MP 54 - MP 60 is out of service)

The M&E has:

Morristown Line: West End to Bill (they can not come into Hoboken with an NJT pilot)
Montclair Line: Denville to Roseville Ave, although as far as I know, their employees are not qualified east of Bay St.
Main Line: West End to Laurel
Bergen County Line: Laurel to BT (To connect with the NYS&W)

They do not have the right to solicit or serve any online customers.

Conrail has:

Raritan Line - CP Aldene to Bound Brook
Coast Line - Graw to Bay Head

by transit383

Isn't the entire Southern Secondary owned by NJT?

by SPUI

Sirsonic wrote:The M&E has:

Morristown Line: West End to Bill (they can not come into Hoboken with an NJT pilot)
Montclair Line: Denville to Roseville Ave, although as far as I know, their employees are not qualified east of Bay St.

They do not have the right to solicit or serve any online customers.

Conrail has:

Raritan Line - CP Aldene to Bound Brook
Coast Line - Graw to Bay Head
Thanks. Where are Bill and Graw? I'm assuming BT is Passaic Jct.

Who owns the line from Aldene to Elizabeth?

Is it true that Conrail owns the AC Line west of the junction at West Haddonfield? If so, how far east does Conrail have trackage rights?

Is there any freight service on the Princeton Branch?

by andy

I don't think they do. I think either Metro-North or CR or NS owns it after Suffern. NJT owns it through Suffern.

NJT also operates service on the Pascack Valley in New York, owned by Metro-North, I believe.

by SPUI

andy wrote:
I don't think they do. I think either Metro-North or CR or NS owns it after Suffern. NJT owns it through Suffern.
The Southern Secondary is the track from Red Bank to Lakehurst, formerly to Winslow Jct and Bridgeton Jct.

by andy

Whoops! Sorry. For some reason, I read Southern Tier.

Must learn how to read.

by nick11a

NS also operates on the Gladstone. Today, the farthest west they'll get on the branch is to Stirling.

Linden yard CSAO operates down the NJCL from Union Interlocking to Cutter's in Woodbridge.

Browns yard trains operates from the Chemical Coast Junction (in Perth Amboy) to the Southern Secondary in Red Bank.

All of the NEC to Oak Island is used for freight.

by 7 Train

Southern Tier from Port Jervis-Suffern is now owned by Metro-North. It was just purchased from NS.
The M&E has:

I'm assuming M & E goes as far west as Lake (Chester) Junction? And how come they have trackage rights on the Main/Bergen lines?

by Butlershops

7 Train wrote:
... And how come they have trackage rights on the Main/Bergen lines?
To interchange with the NYSW at BT.

by njtmnrrbuff

The Chemical Coast actually is shared with the NJCl from Cp wood to Essay.

by Butlershops

SPUI wrote: Thanks. Where are Bill and Graw? I'm assuming BT is Passaic Jct.
Bill is just west of Hackettstown. Graw is on the Coast Line just west of Rahway. There is no freight service on the Princeton Branch.

by Butlershops

7 Train wrote:Southern Tier from Port Jervis-Suffern is now owned by Metro-North. It was just purchased from NS.
PRR owns the Souther Tier. NS leases it from PRR. Metro-North sub-leases it from NS. MN has a capitol (sub)lease. Legally, MN does not own the Southern Tier.

by OCtrainguy

"Isn't the entire Southern Secondary owned by NJT?"

NJT owns most of the current Southern Secondary, according to the information I have read. There is a stretch of track from South Lakewood to Lakehurst that was owned by Conrail. With the breakup of Conrail, I don't know if Conrail Shared Assets is the current owner of that section of track or not. It would be the area of the old sand pits. I believe the NJDOT bought that trackage in the late 1970s.