• Freight times thru Haverhill

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Tracer

Anyone have any ideas (rough, rough) of when pan am might come thru? I"ll be working right next to.the Bradford T station for 2 months.

Huge thanks
  by TJ209

Tracer wrote:Anyone have any ideas (rough, rough) of when pan am might come thru? I"ll be working right next to.the Bradford T station for 2 months.

Huge thanks
For road freights, you're looking at POED/EDPO and POSE/SEPO. These trains can come through at any time, including and especially the late night and wee morning hours, but one or two of them tends to come through that neck of the woods between 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM (usually between 2:00 and 3:00). I don't know how late you're working. If you're there late, say, at 9:00 or 10:00 PM, you could see DOBO, which is a gravel train led by a duo of NHN GP38's. They usually run Monday and Tuesday night, and sometimes on Wednesday or Thursday. Anything other than that... switchers, light power moves, DJJC, the OCS, MBTA work trains, etc.... are all notoriously unpredictable.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

cpf354 wrote:Freights would, or should, run in between the scheduled passenger trains. The MBTA Haverhill schedule is here:http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/ ... e=HAVRHILL and the Amtrak Downeaster schedule is here:http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/926/992/Dow ... 101513.pdf
The T's commuter rail delays alerts will also usually state whether freight interference is the reason for a Haverhill delay (and it often is). So getting pinged with one of those can be a clue that PAR is on the move between Andover and Haverhill. The T's delightfully passive-aggressive about pinning their Western Route delays on PAR or Amtrak whenever it has plausible deniability.

Also...I don't know if that poster with the Shawsheen webcam pointed at the tracks still has his feed up. I lost the URL. But he had his camera set from his office window to snap a pic every time it sensed movement on the tracks and auto-post the image on the website. That thing scoops up any PAR movements through Andover, so everything coming north into Lawrence or south out of Lawrence gets caught by the cam. If a northbound freight is running nonstop through Lawrence you can ballpark-time its arrival in Haverhill via the webcam timestamp when it passes by that office building.
  by MEC407

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Also...I don't know if that poster with the Shawsheen webcam pointed at the tracks still has his feed up.
He doesn't work in that building anymore, so unfortunately the webcam is no longer there either. I believe he was looking for a new place to set it up but I don't know if he has found one yet.
  by Tracer

Thanks for the help. After spending about 2 weeks there I think theres about a 40% chance of catching a freight between 1pm and 3pm.

Off subject a bit but does any container or tofc travel thru Haverhill?

Thanks in advance
  by jbvb

3 days out of 5, I see a westbound somewhere between Haverhill and Lowell Jct. from #227, due in Haverhill at 5:41 PM.

I haven't seen containers or TOFC on the line to Portland in years, possibly since the B&M days. But I usually see freights as a commuter, not out railfanning.
  by newpylong

No dedicated inter modal but you will see it on POED or EDPO going to and from Plainville, CT periodically.
  by mulfreak

I give updates of what I see Passing Thru Wiggenville. Could not say what makes it to Haverhill though. I think there is switching in Lawrence and that would cut up any 70+ trains that pass by here.