Railroad Forums 

• Freight line in Teaneck

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#28115  by howardr142

I have family living in teaneck, a block from their house is a freight line. I passes under route 4 just after the exit to queen anne road. It is a 2 tracked line. Anyone know the name of this branch? and who owns it?

#28142  by Irish Chieftain

This is no branch. You just found the "real River Line", aka the former New York Central West Shore Line, originally the New York, West Shore and Buffalo RR main line. Also used as the New York, Ontario & Western RR's main route into New York City. Originally four tracks. Terminus used to be at Weehawken, about where the Port Imperial ferry slips are now.

#28146  by trainfreak

Its currently owned by CSX and served by their local LC-777

#28368  by railtrailbiker

I believe the River Line is now triple-tracked through that section of Teaneck.

#28425  by rcbsd45

River Line is indeed triple tracked between MP 7.8(CP-7) and MP 10.9(CP-10). All local traffic north of CP-5 is handled out of Kingston, NY, either by the C712 or C711. the main is double tracked from MP 7.8 to CP-1 where the trackage becomes CR Shared Assets. The double track continures south to Croxton(Jersey City, NJ).

#28486  by n01jd1

Also known as the Teaneck train storage yard!! CSX=Quality in motion? NOT!! :D

rcbsd45 wrote:River Line is indeed triple tracked between MP 7.8(CP-7) and MP 10.9(CP-10).

#28533  by trainfreak

I remember being down at Ridgefield Park and we came in off of route 4 and saw a mixed freight sitting in the middle track. So we went down to the Ridgefield Park station and saw nothing for an hour and then some trains then finally the mixed freight was let out of the siding. We could tell that crew wasnt happy about sitting for two and a half hours.

#28749  by rcbsd45

"Only" two and a half hours? I cannot recall the number of times I've made it from CP SK to CP-7/Teaneck in four hours only to outlaw, some times right in Teaneck because the putzes that run the railroad can't make a decision to handle trains, thus resulting in congestion. Oh well, I get paid whether I move or not, and I've learned to bring books, crossword puzzles etc.....(A portable DVD player may be next!) I wish I had a nickel for every hot day I sat there in teaneck with loaded garbage cars, either on the old SENS or the current K277. I have no doubt that we've disrupted a few backyard BBQ's from time to time, or disrupted the sleep of those who keep their windows open at night....And ya wonder why they might be a bit ticked off at the railroad??? :wink: