Railroad Forums 

• Freight conductor salary

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1290138  by slchub

Wow for that kind of guarantee I'd resign Amtrak as a hogger and get hired on as a trainmen to sit on the board for $5800 a half.

It's only $3252 a half right now as a hogger on the board at 100% nationwide. But one thing about Amtrak is no trip rates and overtime after 8. Paid holidays as long as you bridge the holiday on both sides of it.
 #1290165  by gp9rm4108

Conductors on CN in Canada that can hold extended run pools all year can do 120k+. Conductors on the spare board can do that as well but they have to be lucky enough to get a lot of the long runs.
 #1290221  by jz441

slchub wrote:Wow for that kind of guarantee I'd resign Amtrak as a hogger and get hired on as a trainmen to sit on the board for $5800 a half.
I understand slchub... That's just the guarantee, and they are breaking it. The pay was one of the main reasons why I didn't cross over to Amtrak in 2007. At that time Amtrak was paying their engineers $28/hr, while I was making $38/hr... Since 2009 I have been able to hold the yard engineers extra board in Long Beach (20 min from home). I go home every day, and as every yard agreement, there are call windows. If my phone doesn't ring by 22:30, I as sleeping through the night. :wink: