Railroad Forums 

• Freight Conductor interview with CSX tips?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1296583  by 13ronin

Hey all! I have an interview with CSX for a freight conductor's slot coming up on Thursday. I really want this gig and would appreciate any tips for it or for how it happens. I have a rough idea about getting there very early, the talk beforehand, the call in order of sign in; but would really like tips. How does one dress? I mean it IS a rough and tumble job. Do I have to worry about over dressing? I don't want to give the impression that I am ill prepared for dirty work, but don't want to come as disinterested or not serious either. Tips in area like this would be much appreciated.
 #1306264  by tslo91

I went to an interview session with CSX on November 11th. The doors closed and the session started at 8am. I was there an hour early and two people we're already waiting outside the conference room. I wore dress pants and a button down shirt as did the majority of people. There were some that also wore ties and some that went all out and wore a suit. The gentleman doing the presentation wore the same thing I did so i believe that may be the best route. The only advice I can think to give you is to just act natural, don't go on there being all tense and nervous, if he makes a joke don't be afraid to laugh. Whenever you get up from your chair make sure to push it in, that's one thing he covers in the presentation. The whole thing is about saftey. From the moment he walks in. Don't be afraid to ask question during the presentation. After the presentation you will be let out for a little bit of a break as they prepare for the interviews. During the interview they go over your resume with you and ask you questions off a questionnaire. Once your interview is over I was free to leave. You can either expect either A) A phone call with a conditional offer, B) An email saying they want you but currently don't have a spot and will keep your info on file or C) The sorry but we've gone with someone else letter. I was lucky enough to get the phone call. So far I've passed the background, medical and strength portion. I have a tentative start date of 1/12/15.
 #1309972  by 13ronin

Sorry I never posted a follow up on this, I figured it was a dead topic after a few days with no replies. I went with dress pants, shirt, tie, shoes and a vest. Most people were in similar attire. The most dressed down person still wore dress pants, shoes, and shirt. The interviewer however wore blue jeans, boots, dress shirt and a sport coat. Command prerogative I guess. lol. He was the real deal. Started out when CSX was still Chessie Systems (on the B&O side) as a conductor and even though he moved over to the corporate side of things still qualifies as an engineer and is still a union member. He was quite good, but vague in some respects as they all seem to be. Guess I can understand that. The yardmasters were unavailable to come in for the interviews like planned because of a derailment they had to handle. The interview must have gone well because within a few days I got the phone call with the offer. I somehow passed my tests (the strength test was a bear) and report to REDI in a week (Jan 5th). Good luck out there to all and stay safe!
 #1310202  by Miz860

I have a question. What time did you leave the hiring session. I have a very very important meeting the same day as a hiring session I was just invited too. The meeting starts at 1:15pm
 #1310349  by Gadfly

Miz860 wrote:I have a question. What time did you leave the hiring session. I have a very very important meeting the same day as a hiring session I was just invited too. The meeting starts at 1:15pm
\\

If memory serves me (and its been a long, long time since I hired out), don't count on getting out by 1:15. If its done the way it was traditionally done, they start with a long spiel about the railroad, the life, what is expected of you, the physical requirements. This takes most of the morning. Then its various tests of mental, math, and recognition skills. AFTER lunch, they call out the people they would like to verbally interview. I don't think one can count on getting out by 1:15. If you are really interested in this career, then you need to set aside the entire day for it. Railroading is NOT a mere "job"; it is a profession, a vocation, a life-changing experience that is unlike the "ordinary" "job" as people usually see it. The railroad wants you and your attention totally for the next 30+ years. It is a lifestyle that absorbs your entire existence, the way you AND your family live, the way you act and even TALK. Therefore if you are looking for a "job" or a 9-5 gig where you have "other" interests that are more important, I wouldn't even attend the interview! It is, however, a VERY good living both in the present and in retirement and it IS worth pursuing. Blow off the interview, and you *may* never get another chance because the interviewers might see your absence as a lack of sincerity, and as one who is.......well, "looking for a job" they'll bail on when the going gets tough!

If you decide this is for you, then be sure to be there at the appointed time. Show up (if the interview is at 8 AM) at 8 naught one, and the door will be slammed in your face with a curt, "You're late. Thank you for coming" SLAM! Then it will be LOCKED & and you are done! :( I am not exaggerating! When it is said that railroading is unlike any other work you will do, they are not kidding!!!! :-) And it starts at the entry door to the initial interview.

I don't say these things to discourage you. I hope it helps you decide if railroading is for you. Only you can decide whether a fantastic career is more important than your "meeting". I wish you the best. :wink: :wink:

Gadfly
retired, Norfolk Southern
 #1310413  by 13ronin

The earlier you arrive the earlier you are done. I showed up about an hour early and was halfway in the interview. I was done by then but I was in a small group of maybe 15 people.
 #1310425  by COEN77

Miz860 wrote:Thank you for your reply my important meeting is for child support. If you have any experience with that you know they don't care about anything else.
See if you can have the meeting on child support rescheduled. That would be easier to do then get another chance at being invited to a CSX hiring session. If you still have some time to reschedule (a week or more) it shouldn't be a problem. It's done all the time. If you're represented by an attorney they can handle it.
 #1310491  by COEN77

Miz860 wrote:I tried they said if I am not there I will forfeit my rights as a father haha don't see how that is fair but...... they gave me a 15 min extension.
That's a heavy. I'm taking it's either a court appointed mediator or family court. Just get to the hiring session way early, then you'll be in the first interviews.
 #1310576  by tslo91

I agree the best bet is to get there early. I arrived an hour early for the interview session and there was already two people ahead of myself. I believe I was done around noon with everything. The presentation and the interview itself. Good luck.
 #1310645  by Miz860

I would like to thank you all for your support in this matter.... if all goes well I will create a thread of my own for the entire process from start to finish (mark up)....