• Framingham/Worcester Line Questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by RandallW

I used to work for James E Strates Shows on their rides. We were absolutely not allowed to help people with anything other than the safety equipment because providing assistance was considered to be inviting personal injury or loss lawsuits.
  by CRail

Randall nailed it. So the Keolis employee thought it would be nice to help the stroller up the stairs and the woman makes some move that causes the employee to lose grip of the stroller resulting in injury of the child. What happens now? The woman is understanding that she caused her own child's injury? Or the woman sees dollar signs and tries to hold the MBTA, Keolis, and the employee accountable for her own blunder? The latter is more likely and serves as the reason to NOT touch anything carrying another person's child.
  by BandA

I was shocked to see a temporary platform at a major station that was not handicapped accessible. What would they have done if someone was actually in a wheelchair?
  by BandA

west point wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:45 am How about a bad compromise. Leave the inbound platform as is but the outbound be full length? Riders can wait on short platform and board what cars are available but when arriving can immediately get off and not miss getting off at closed doors,? Later on lengthen inbound platform. That would prevent an outbound double stop if MBTA does double stops?.
If they tried to have one platform HP accessible and one not the lawsuit would be instantaneous. And imagine if they had to switch a scheduled train to the unaccessible platform due to construction or blockage. And the existing non-accessible platforms are presently full-length
  by BandA

MBTAVideoClips wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:40 am They don't do double stops and instead have riders walk forwards/backwards to doors that will open.
Imagine three stations in a row with short platforms, and 8 car bilevel coach trains at rush hour. Will add about 2 minutes dwell time for each station and lots of stress. Add 6 minutes to the schedule!
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

2 mins? try 6 mins per stop for a 7 car set per stop with only 2 doubles open at rush hour. AND we don't have any 8 car sets 4 7s running around
  by mbrproductions

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103688802 ... otostream/

In this 1997 MBTA Commuter Rail map from a promotional for the then brand-new Old Colony Lines, it shows that on the Worcester Line, there was originally supposed to be a station between Grafton and Worcester in Millbury, does anyone here have any information on this station, where it was supposed to be located, what its intended design was, and why it was cancelled? Thanks.
  by The EGE

It would have been just south of Flint Pond Road, approximately where the solar farm now is, with a driveway from Route 20. (Ironically, very near where Millbury Junction once was.) Same design as the other early-2000s infills on the line: Low side platforms with mini-highs, giant ramp structure, parking lot with no pedestrian access. It ran into NIMBY opposition from Worcester because the driveway would have been in Worcester and the station would have been close to Flint Pond Road homes. Millbury voters were in favor of the station almost 2:1 in an April 1997 non-binding referendum, but it never went anywhere.

Here's the Final Environmental Impact Report showing the location, with the station design a few pages earlier:
https://archive.org/details/worcesterco ... /page/n169
  by wicked

mbrproductions wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:12 pm https://www.flickr.com/photos/103688802 ... otostream/

In this 1997 MBTA Commuter Rail map from a promotional for the then brand-new Old Colony Lines, it shows that on the Worcester Line, there was originally supposed to be a station between Grafton and Worcester in Millbury, does anyone here have any information on this station, where it was supposed to be located, what its intended design was, and why it was cancelled? Thanks.
That map also shows New Bedford/Fall River service branching off at Attleboro. I don’t remember that ever being a serious proposal.
  by The EGE

There was a very brief period where the MBTA planned an "Attleboro bypass" that would have largely followed the power lines about 2 miles northeast of downtown Attleboro. It was first seriously considered in an early 1995 feasibility study; that September, the MBTA filed environmental documentation for that route. However, a 1997 analysis showed that costs would be much higher than expected - $407 million versus $156 million - and that Stoughton would be more cost-effective. From then on, Stoughton has generally been the preferred route.

There were are some definite advantages to the Attleboro route. All active track except for three miles of new track on a power line ROW, and the only route that gets you a downtown Taunton station without using the curvy Whittenton Branch.

However, it adds a lot of trains to a two-track section of the Northeast Corridor, while the Stoughton route largely uses existing Stoughton slots. Downtown Taunton is also a horrible stretch of grade crossings: 8 in a mile, and 15 total within city limits. Most (including routes 44, 138, and 140) would be impossible to eliminate, and there are no existing grade-separated crossings within the city. The Stoughton route only has 5 grade crossings in Taunton, most less disruptive and also easier to eliminate.

Here's the 1995 Environmental Notification Form and the map from it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141213053 ... lume_I.pdf
  by bostontrainguy

I discovered that bypass possibility a while ago when I was thinking about a possible way for CSX to more easily cross the NEC in the area. It looked like an easy solution unlike rebuilding the Mansfield line which would be DOA. I didn't know it was a suggested alternative and this is the first time I have seen this. It was a very pleasant surprise.
  by GP40MC1118

That plan was proposed during the Weld administration. I remember the day he came down to New Bedford and did a photo op with then Mayor Rosemary Tierney. Would have been interesting. I do have the proposed signal plans somewhere.

It also gave birth to the virulent anti-rail group based in Norton - CCATS. They were a significant force that helped squash it along with powerful political forces in the Attleboro area. Taunton also took a stance against it.
  by Commuterrail1050

Breaking news: the new Worcester station center platform just opened today! That means that the lake shore doesn’t have to wait for the commuter rail to clear before dropping off passengers! That also means that it can now serve more than one train at a time.
  by The EGE

The platform is open, but only one track is in service. The track between the platform and the station still needs to be relaid.
  by Commuterrail1050

I forgot that they still needed to reinstall that track. How long does that usually take?