Railroad Forums 

• Framingham and Lowell Branch

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1551823  by neman2

I found a discarded drawbar along the ROW North of Rt 2A in Acton earlier this year. What is unusual about it is that it is about 50 to 100 feet away from the rail bed in a wetland area. I don't know why or how anybody would drag it out that far into a marsh. Could there have been a derailment there?

It can't be seen until the vegetation dies off in the winter. Sorry for the sideways image clicking on it should rotate it.
Attachments:
20191129_143603.jpg
20191129_143603.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1713 times
 #1551826  by edbear

Around 1953-54-55 there was a big derailment in the Acton/Westford area, can't say precisely where. I have seen photos of it too. Big hook was called out. Can't tell you where the photos were either, Shoreline maybe.
 #1617617  by MaineCoonCat

Well, the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail is progressing in Sudbury. Today there was work going on lifting the rail south of Old Lancaster Road.