Railroad Forums 

• Framingham & (formerly) Fitchburg Branch

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#815802  by jaymac

At the risk of seeming as old as I am, I can recall during the CR days that it was usually a same-day roundtrip, including work at the Framingham Industrial Park, Hendries, a couple of Southboro spots, Marlboro, Northboro, Reisner's, Sterling, and Leominster.
 #816129  by CSX Conductor

jaymac wrote:At the risk of seeming as old as I am, I can recall during the CR days that it was usually a same-day roundtrip, including work at the Framingham Industrial Park, Hendries, a couple of Southboro spots, Marlboro, Northboro, Reisner's, Sterling, and Leominster.
The fact that there is no more brakeman delays things as the conductor is alone doing all of the industrial work and brake tests, etc. Secondly, another huge impact on operations up there is that the max speed was permanently reduced to 10mph on the entire line a few years ago. Prior to that it was 25mph.
 #816498  by frrc

CSX Conductor wrote:
jaymac wrote:At the risk of seeming as old as I am, I can recall during the CR days that it was usually a same-day roundtrip, including work at the Framingham Industrial Park, Hendries, a couple of Southboro spots, Marlboro, Northboro, Reisner's, Sterling, and Leominster.
The fact that there is no more brakeman delays things as the conductor is alone doing all of the industrial work and brake tests, etc. Secondly, another huge impact on operations up there is that the max speed was permanently reduced to 10mph on the entire line a few years ago. Prior to that it was 25mph.
10mph doesn't surprise me considering the track conditions, especially through Berlin and Clinton in sections.

JF
 #817061  by JDM864

It is hit or miss. Some days B724 only goes as far north as NOBO (just north of NewCorr in Northborough) only switching Ken's Foods. This past week, they went to Leominster on Monday and outlawed, Leominster to Framingham on Tuesday, same thing Wednesday & Thursday, and only as far as NOBO on Friday. Some weeks, there is only one trip to Leominster.

I believe all of the business in the Framingham Industrial Park is gone as International Paper shut down last year. The Industrial Park is being transformed into a bio-medical park as Genzyme is buying almost everything on New York Ave. The Frozen Food warehouse in Southborough shut down a few years ago (Harvey industries is moving into part of that building from the Framingham Industrial Park). Safety Kleen at Marlborough Junction is an occasional customer; Suburban propane in Marlboro receives product by truck, and has for several years. Ken's Foods is a big customer and receives many tank cars of product a day. Mass Container in Marlborough and NewCorr in Northborough receive occasional shipments. Reisner in Clinton ships a few cars of scrap a week and Bestway in Sterling receives a few cars a week. There are occasional loads for the plastic pellet transload yard at the end of the yard in Leominster.

There are a lot of unused spurs and potential customers on the line, but given the track conditions, etc. I believe the Fitchburg Sub has seen much better days....
 #817079  by CSX Conductor

The norm was always do Kens and come back on Friday because the crews wanted a 'quit' on Friday....even back when the whole line was still 25mph. Yes, the Framingham Industrial Park is without rail. Last customer I remember switching in there was Siegel Egg.
 #838702  by FatNoah

I just saw kens being switched out about 15 minutes ago. Consist includes tankers, hopper, a centerbeam, and a box car. Anyone think they might be going to leominster?

I was in a hurry to make an appointment so I couldn't stick around kens, but I now have a couple hours to kill.
 #838834  by JDM864

FatNoah wrote:I just saw kens being switched out about 15 minutes ago. Consist includes tankers, hopper, a centerbeam, and a box car. Anyone think they might be going to leominster?

I was in a hurry to make an appointment so I couldn't stick around kens, but I now have a couple hours to kill.
I believe B724 and an EC-1 to go all the way to Leomister today.
 #838975  by FatNoah

Thanks for the info.

As it turns out, luck was sort of with me yesterday. The only reason I saw the train at Ken's at the first place was that it was near lunch time and I saw a sign for a hot dog cart on the road near Kens. As I was eating the dog, I heard the sounds of things being switched out. I took care of my business then headed back on the off chance I'd catch the train and caught up just as they were arriving at Newcorr. There didn't appear to be a good place to observe without trespassing, so I waited at Collins Rd, which is just to the west. Unfortunately, my SLR was at home, and my Point-And-Shoot camera's battery was dead so I only had my phone...which failed to record the crossing and the friendly wave from a crew member. Fortunately, I was able to beat the train to the Rt. 20 crossing and get a quick vid there.

Since I had time to kill, I went to a driving range and drive around a bit, and managed to get to Clinton just in time to see a bunch of cars (looked like the Ken's cars) being cut off at the siding there. I grabbed a couple videos on the phone and the train when on its way to Leominster. I was very happy to actually see a train in Clinton. I drove through there every day for a couple years and never once saw a train.

Quick question, is it common to leave cars in Clinton? I guess it makes sense to leave them there rather than drag them to Leominster and back.
 #838991  by frrc

JDM864 wrote:
FatNoah wrote:I just saw kens being switched out about 15 minutes ago. Consist includes tankers, hopper, a centerbeam, and a box car. Anyone think they might be going to leominster?

I believe B724 and an EC-1 to go all the way to Leomister today.
From the sound of the horns around 18:00hours, I'd say B724 was in Leominster last night.
 #839037  by JDM864

FatNoah wrote:Thanks for the info.

As it turns out, luck was sort of with me yesterday. The only reason I saw the train at Ken's at the first place was that it was near lunch time and I saw a sign for a hot dog cart on the road near Kens. As I was eating the dog, I heard the sounds of things being switched out. I took care of my business then headed back on the off chance I'd catch the train and caught up just as they were arriving at Newcorr. There didn't appear to be a good place to observe without trespassing, so I waited at Collins Rd, which is just to the west. Unfortunately, my SLR was at home, and my Point-And-Shoot camera's battery was dead so I only had my phone...which failed to record the crossing and the friendly wave from a crew member. Fortunately, I was able to beat the train to the Rt. 20 crossing and get a quick vid there.

Since I had time to kill, I went to a driving range and drive around a bit, and managed to get to Clinton just in time to see a bunch of cars (looked like the Ken's cars) being cut off at the siding there. I grabbed a couple videos on the phone and the train when on its way to Leominster. I was very happy to actually see a train in Clinton. I drove through there every day for a couple years and never once saw a train.

Quick question, is it common to leave cars in Clinton? I guess it makes sense to leave them there rather than drag them to Leominster and back.
Yes, I've seen them leave cars in Clinton and gram them on the way back south. They also leave them there to switch out Reisner.
 #839133  by CSX Conductor

Normally you'd drop the train at south end of the main, bring loads for Leominster to north-end, head-pin the power and run lite to south end. (The rear of train was usually Reisners empties to go in.) Switch out Reisners and when done put their loads onto the train left on main and run lite up the siding, grab the loads for Leominster and head north. On the way back from Leominster come to south end of runaround, head-pin, grab the stuff left there, back to train, do brake test and head home.