Railroad Forums 

• Four track Hudson Div. between Spuyten Duyvil and Albany?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#922421  by walterconklin

Hello,

I am wondering if the entire mainline trackage on the New York Central Water Level Route between Spuyten Duyvil in NYC and Albany, NY was 4-tracks in the 1930s to the early 50s. If that was not the case, I am wondering therefore what sections of this stretch of the mainline were 4-tracks.

Thank for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
 #922429  by edbear

No. On the Hudson Division from Croton-on-Hudson to Albany only double track between Signal Stations 37 & 43 through Peekskill to Garrison, 6.33 miles, and from SS 71, Barrytown to SS 100 Rensselaer 48.5 miles double track only. This is from Hudson & Mohawk Div. employees timetable #55, June 7, 1942. I also have GCT & Electric Div. emp. tt #55, same date, but the presentation from Croton to Spuyten Duyvil is all cluttered up with interlockings, fine print and symbols all over the place and I just don't have the time to tackle that section right now.
 #922598  by Tommy Meehan

From memory it was also four tracks from Spuyten Duyvil west to Harmon with a short section of six track main line from Spuyten Duyvil west to the crossovers near Riverdale and five tracks from there to the freight yard just west of Yonkers passenger station.

I'm not sure whether the fifth track from Riverdale to KD yard in Yonkers was (or ever was) operated as a main track. It might've been designated as a siding actually. I think someone who worked at KD told me Track 5 was controlled by the KD operator or the yardmaster there at least by the 1960s.
 #922601  by shlustig

IIRC, Tk. 5 ran DV to Mt. St. Vincent where there was an interlocked connection with Tracks 1, 2, 3, & 4.

Tk. 6 went all the way to Glenwood (GD) Interlocking. n later years, High 6 was added west of GD with a switch onto Tk. 4 to allow a pocket for set-offs with an easy access back onto Tk. 4 at GD.
 #923017  by DutchRailnut

Would under NYC numbering the numbering not have been 8-6-4-2-1-3 ??
with all even numbered tracks next to track 2 and all odd numbered tracks next to track 1 .
originally Harmon yard was all even numbers except for two tracks leading to loop at track 3 side
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #923069  by Tommy Meehan

shlustig wrote:River side to land side: 6-5-4-2-1-3
From Spike west, right?

I meant going east. Where the ROW widened to five tracks at GD the additional track was Track 6, wasn't it? Then when you got to Mt St Vincent (or thereabouts) and had a sixth track that was Track 5, right?
 #923868  by Tommy Meehan

Just noticed-
Tommy Meehan wrote:I think someone who worked at KD told me Track 5 was controlled by the KD operator or the yardmaster there at least by the 1960s.
I meant Track 6 darnit! :)

I have a couple questions too.

I always thought the fact the ROW east of Riverdale was 6-5-4-2-1-3 dated back to the old 'assigned direction' days when 5 and 6 were the westward and eastward leads to or from the West Side Freight Line. They were located on the river side to minimize crossovers.

When I looked at an ETT from 1962 I don't see either 5 or 6 shown as main track. In the Special Instructions section it shows four main tracks west of DV (Spuyten Duyvil) to CD. And they are designated eastward (2 and 4) and westward (1 and 3) under rules 251-254.

Shel I'm pretty sure I remember GAD saying at that time (early 60s) Track 6 east of Yonkers was designated as a controlled siding. That the operator at KD controlled its use. I have a couple emails from him on this and I have to check them.

You asked about the third-rail. I recall there was no third rail on 5 or 6 in the vicinity of DV but where or if it might've started west of there I don't know.
 #923924  by Tommy Meehan

I checked my old email folder and a gentleman who began a long railroad career working summers at the KD yard in Yonkers did email to me (and to a Yahoo group) several years back that Tracks 5 and 6 "lost their signals and main track designation between DV [Spuyten Duyvil] and MV [Mt. St. Vincent]" sometime before 1960. Track 6 then became a siding between DV and Glenwood (GD), and Track 5 became a siding "between DV and about 1000 feet east of Riverdale."
 #924563  by TCurtin

shlustig wrote:IIRC, mainline was 4 tracks except:

Peekskill to Manitou / Garrison
Barrytown / Tivoli
Germantown / South of Hudson
Hudson / Stottville
Stuyvesant / Castleton
So if I'm reading you right, there were sections north (RR direction west) of Barrytown with more than 2 mains?