Railroad Forums 

• Fort Tilden Military Railroad

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#709398  by jaystreetcrr

My favorite local beach (I live near Prospect Park in Brooklyn) is Fort Tilden in the Rockaways, now part of Gateway National Wildlife Refuge. Not only a beautiful beach, it features remnants of coastal artillery batteries and the railroad that served them. The highlight is two massive concrete bunkers that housed 16" guns, with rails still in place, and other rails through the magazines a little ways off in the dunes. You can also see some rails in the street near the entrance to the park where the old carfloat landing was.
The only problem with Ft. Tilden is that in the summer you need a fishing permit to park there. Otherwise, it's bike, bus or walk over from Jacob Riis Park down the road. Last year we had one but not this year. After Sept. 15 though it's open and fall or winter might be a better time to explore without the ticks and mosquitos. I forget the website but someone has pages of info and old photos...just do a quick search and things will turn up. A very obscure local line....
 #709411  by pennsy

One of my favorite bike routes to get to Far Rockaway from Brooklyn. I hear that the toll over the Marine Parkway Bridge is now over a dollar. Last time I went over it, it ran me ten cents.