Railroad Forums 

• Fort Stewart Car Storage?

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#960542  by ashley2771

For a couple of months now, 3 long strings of intermodal TTX flats have been sitting on some of Ft. Stewart's tracks. Many are marked with a sticker about being refurbished. Would the Army be storing these cars for CSX?
 #960643  by RailVet

I'll be in the neighborhood in another month and then I'll find out for you. Where on post are the cars stored?
 #961606  by ashley2771

They are stored on some of the "shorter" tracks to the right, within sight of the locomotive shed... not sure they use those tracks much as most of the activity seems to go on at the container yard...
 #969398  by Deval

It's not uncommon for TTX cars to be stored on army posts with active rail operations. They keep them there where there they are most likely to be needed.

The Class I railroads store cars on army posts in exchange for the Class I railroads storing DODX flatcars throughout their system.
 #974030  by RailVet

Here's the answer: The cars had been stored off-post on a nearby CSX siding and (scrap?) thieves were stealing the tie-down chains, so the post and CSX arranged to store them on base for better security.