Railroad Forums 

• Fort Drum, N.Y. and the 10th Mountain Division (LI)

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#398174  by izzy1975

Kinda of the beaten path here. When I lived in Evans Mills I happened to be friends with the Town of LeRay/Evans Mills Village Historian. He had some old books about Pine Camp and when the railroad was laid in to there from the mainline at Calcium. The interesting fact is that one of the books stated there was an actual Golden Spike that was pounded into the railroad there. I was wondering anyone ever hear that story. I know longer live there anymore so I cannot get a copy of it but i thought it was interesting
 #426501  by RailVet

July 23, 2007
WATERTOWN, N.Y. - The Associated Press reported this afternoon that two flatcars carrying military equipment from Fort Drum rolled about eight miles today before crashing into CSX work equipment and derailing, authorities said.

The CSX work crew had just received permission to occupy the tracks when the cars, coasting downhill, rolled into them. One CSX worker suffered a sprained ankle while escaping the collision. The cars derailed just after 9 a.m., forcing the temporary closure of nearby Interstate 81. Businesses and homes within a half-mile area were evacuated for about two hours as a precaution.

"It's a miracle this wasn't more serious," Watertown Fire Chief Daniel Gaumont told the AP. "It's downhill from Fort Drum ... we believe these cars were going 40-45 mph."

The train originated at Fort Drum, home of the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry). Fort Drum spokesman Ben Abel told AP that the two flat cars rolled away after 1st Brigade Combat Team soldiers finished loading them with equipment bound for the Port of Philadelphia, and eventually Iraq. The 3,500-soldier brigade is scheduled to begin a 15-month deployment in September. Army officials are investigating why the cars broke free and rolled away, Abel said. He could not immediately say what they were carrying, but Fire Chief Gaumont said a placard cautioned that the contents included "flammable liquids, oxidizers, and explosives." Army officials had notified local authorities, who were searching for the runaway cars when the accident was reported, Gaumont said.

The collision caused the explosion of a 1,500-gallon propane tank stored on a CSX vehicle, igniting a small fire. Firefighters allowed the fire to burn itself out. Hazardous materials teams from Watertown and surrounding communities were called to the scene because authorities were uncertain what substances they were dealing with. The Fort Drum Mobile Incident Command Center also was sent to the scene.

#449513  by usa4624

** Non rail related commentary has been deleted **

#494387  by Railcar

I've heard rumblings that the montreal sub may soon be sold of to one of the Maine RR's. I think it was the Maine, Monteal, and Atlantic. I think there may be a post or two on the MMA forum. FYI

#494499  by RussNelson

Well, yes, they've been shopping it around for a while, but so far nobody has been willing to pay the price. It's a whole lot of miles without many customers.

#494704  by Railcar

Two questions. Would MMA have a direct link in montral or would it involve CP/CN? Would this also give MMA direct acess to interchange with CSX going up and over PAR? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to the boarder and the effect on RR's.

#495319  by scharnhorst

Railcar wrote:Two questions. Would MMA have a direct link in montral or would it involve CP/CN? Would this also give MMA direct acess to interchange with CSX going up and over PAR? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to the boarder and the effect on RR's.
CN has trackage rights already but would not be allowed to own or switch any of that trackage becouse of Fort Drum haveing rail service. The CSX Montral Line ends at CP Rails Smiths Falls-Ottawa sub div. I do not think that they would gain or request trackage rights as they have direct connect to Albany, NY by way of D&H and St.L&HR trackage.
 #1497114  by Jeff Smith

ProgressiveRailroading.com: Sen. Schumer calls for new railhead at Fort Drum
Currently, Fort Drum has limited capability in place to simultaneously load and unload trains for mobilization. As a result, multiple missions must be staggered and delayed. Loading trains for deployment often forces Fort Drum to hold inbound trains miles away in the town of Watertown's rail yard, which increases costs, according to Schumer.

Additionally, the existing railhead has limited capacity for storage and harsh winter conditions often restrict operations.

The new railhead would improve rail loading operations by featuring 1.2 miles of loading track, as well as new ramps, a side loading area, weather protection measures, lighting and a new alert holding area equipped with a cargo inspection building.