• Former Westinghouse/LVRR at Buffalo Airport

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

Do to recent construction/destruction at the Buffalo Airport some history has reveiled itself. My dad and I went for dinner last night at Flying Tigers. When I got out of the car I looked and noticed a light tower. Never saw it before because of massive overgrowth. The removal of the overgrowth also has uncovered a loading dock. That's what it looks like from a distance anyway.

I believe this is part of Westinghouse' little yard off the LVRR that goes right next to it. This little yard was also accessible via the WS which crossed Genesee St [33] at two points. As mentioned in previous posts on the old forum, the stop signals are still in place for the Genesee st crossings.

I will have to explore this area very quickly as they are really tearing everything up.

See this 1951 aerial photo of the airport and Westinghouse. It clearly shows what I'm writing about. This picture is before the runway extension in which the LVRR became the inner airport service rd.
http://www.erie.gov/aerials/1951/photos/51_3H65.jpg

by SST

I did get over there yesterday. Due to the proximity of this to other airport operations I didn't explore it thoroughly. But I did get close enough to see most of the stuff.

The light tower is definitely an original. But I think the lights on it are new and in use. They are just too clean and shiny so I think they are using them while everything is being torn up.

There are piles and piles of debris. Broken and rotted rail ties mostly. I walked around a little bit looking for spikes but I didn't see anything.

What looked like a loading dock from one direction looked like nothing from another direction. Too far away to look closely.

I seem to remember that when I was a kid and my only mode of transportation was my bike, I rode in Westinghouse's huge parking lot and I remember crossing a set of tracks. I remember a light tower and even then the vines were growing on it. This would be in the mid to late 70's.

I wish I had been interested in the rr back then because I'm sure I would have found...stuff.