Railroad Forums 

• Former Tourist Railroads

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#379786  by prrsd402

I collect tourist railroad brochures and need help finding out when the following railroads folded. Ozark Scenic Railway, Keokuk Scenic Railway, Sunday River Bullet Ski Express, White River Scenic Railway, Carrollton-Oneida-Minerva Railroad, Brandywine Scenic Railroad, Quakertown & Eastern Railroad, Dry Gulch & Tombstone Railroad.
 #379976  by farmerjohn

prrsd402 wrote:I collect tourist railroad brochures and need help finding out when the following railroads folded. Ozark Scenic Railway, Keokuk Scenic Railway, Sunday River Bullet Ski Express, White River Scenic Railway, Carrollton-Oneida-Minerva Railroad, Brandywine Scenic Railroad, Quakertown & Eastern Railroad, Dry Gulch & Tombstone Railroad.
Well for Tombstone I dont think their ever was a tourist railroad?.
I do know that the last train ran on August 13, 1960, and the track was removed shortly thereafter. There was not enough traffic to support continued operation. Southern Pacific petitioned for abandonment, which was granted. The railroad donated the depot to the city for use as library. It continues to be used for that purpose today. Retired Southern Pacific caboose number 1057 and a boxcar were brought to Tombstone by truck in 1971 and placed next to the building on the old right of way.
They are the last reminders of Tombstones railroad heritage.
 #384693  by Alan Maples

Quakertown & Eastern did not have any track of its own but operated main line excursions in eastern Pennsylvania, circa 1968-1970.

Dry Gulch & Tombstone was part of a tourist attraction known as "Dry Gulch Junction" near Wytheville, Virginia. Operated 1966 to about 1980.

Alan Maples