Railroad Forums 

• Former Montréal Commuter Routes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1079612  by joshg1

Or should I say services. I was looking at the commuter trains on the AMT website and recall looking at a 1960s map of Montréal (mother went to Expo) that was peppered with stations. I'm not sure how to define a commuter train versus a local, and I consider competing services on parallel tracks as two. Where on line can I find information? I don't expect long, thorough answers, but I find asking a question saves a lot of search time.
 #1086775  by Montrealrail

the second link are good to explain Montral's commuter train history,but,they forgot to say 3 things

in 1992,a temporary commuter train was in service for the summer,to hepl motorists that they used metropilitan highway,cause it was closed for major refection works..

Temporary commuter train was running over Cn St-Lawrence sub,that going across north of Montreal,to Repentigny and was called "Metropoli-Train"
Was starting at du Collège station,near subway station at corner Decarie boulevard,and finnishing at Repentigny..covering 6 station..
Du-College,Sauvé,Lacordaire Pointe-aux-Trembles,Charlemagne and Repentigny

1995,Montreal / Deux-Montagnes ligne was entirely rebuilted,with new cathenaries and tracks,rollig stock was replaced by brand new EMU trains
Voltage pass from 3000 volts to 25 000 volts

june 2012 Rigaud commuter station was definetly closed,service are stopping now at Hudson

And a new north-east commuter train are in constuction,it will leave Montreal by the tunnel under the mountain and will go east by CN St-Lawrence and Jolliette sub to Mascouche,AMT ordered 20 dual power locomotive,to deserve this new line,but one of the dual mode locomotive derailled last december and they don't use them anymore since that event,cause BST are not hurry to give the final report,that CN and AMT wait for before to put back in service..
 #1094538  by Montrealrail1

dowlingm wrote:Has Montreal ever had commuter service from the Cornwall direction - i.e. across the Ont-Que border?
It's only possible by VIA Rail,Montreal never et acroos Quebec-Ontario border..
 #1164978  by ant6n

Does anybody have more info about the temporary commuter line in Montreal North? The only info I found was on Wikipedia:
Métropolitrain
A temporary commuter train service, dubbed the "Métropolitrain" was organized by the STCUM in 1990, while Autoroute 40, the boulevard Métropolitain, was being rebuilt. It ran on Canadian National railway track from a temporary station near the Du Collège metro station to a temporary station in Repentigny with an intermediate temporary station near the Sauvé metro station. As there was no existing regional transit coordinator at the time, the line was never very successful.
Are there any more articles, photos, maps?
 #1166092  by Montrealrail1

the map was almost the same as the "train de l'est" ptoject,service are expected around 2015 or 2016..
it was a temporary train,but it was not going downtown and only few higway users took the train,but it was in everage 60% of the seats occupyed,I rode this train few times,i hav no pictures,I lost a lot of picture in a fire few years ago and pictures was in the losted ones,also,a lot of ALCO's ans MLW pictures was lost..
now informatics and numerics are the best thing we can have to keep pictures and videos..

trains was runned by F Units 1303 and 1305 and each ones haved 7 cars of the 800's serie,retired from service in 2001
and a 700's serie cab coach,one of the trains was comming back for the third departure,by backing up to Du College station,service was unidirectionnal,morning get only inbound train,and only outbound trains at night..that was why that made this train unpopular,no service in opposite directions.
and hapened once,cause the platform was on one side or on the other side,both vestibule doors was opened and a passanger felted down from the train,with minors injuries.
 #1166111  by ant6n

Thanks for the info! Do you know exactly when it started/ended? I think it ran from 1990 to 1992, do you know the months? Then it may be possible to look at some old newspaper archive, to find some pictures.
 #1174065  by TrainDuNord

Metropolitrain's first day of operation was May 14, 1990. Here is the schedule, taken from a small article on the first page of Montreal newspaper La Presse of the following day. You can see the whole page (in French) on the National Library of Quebec web site at address:

http://collections.banq.qc.ca/ark:/52327/2169131