Railroad Forums 

• Former Consignees

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1272046  by jayrmli

I don't think Manufacturers Corrugated ever took a car under NYA. Maybe early on when I was in class or worked out east and didn't know, but I think the only customer that took cars off that switch into that industrial park was Coors, and that stopped about a year into the NYA era.
 #1272069  by AlKaLI

Thanks Jay. In your reply though, you added to the thread. Coors took loads and now the trackage has vanished. I imagine they took inbound (insulated?) boxcars of beer.

@ Sir Ray:

Thanks for the article, but I was referring to Manufacturers Corrugated manufacturing plant. They shut that plant down in the late 1990's from my memory.
When the box plant closed, they opened the office on Grand Avenue. I was never inside but don't believe they made boxes there. It was only to handle their sales accounts still remaining. They never took delivery of any railcars at the office location

The manufacturing plant was Location 6 in Maspeth from Steve Lynch's "Trains are Fun" website. http://www.trainsarefun.com/NYA/maspeth/NYA-Maspeth.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I mentioned, the plant was torn down and I think Coca-Cola acquired the space. Again I think it was for a parking lot. Please see the attached link. http://goo.gl/maps/It8gp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1272075  by jayrmli

But, Coors is back in a big way, receiving cars through Manhattan Beer, both on the Bay Ridge and Bushwick branches.

That whole siding off of Montauk 1 was known as "Metropolitan Industries" on the railroad maps. As mentioned, the only one left in 1997 was Coors.
 #1272093  by Sir Ray

Sorry AlKaLI, now I see what you mean.
Actually I used to be in that area a lot during the late 1990s, and don't really recall such a building.
I do recall seeing (once) a boxcar on the track which would have run to Coca-cola, and that was that (also remember some cars at what Jay calls the Coors location, but I guess that didn't last too long there).
Checking Bing, some views show the RXR pavement makings on 58th St, while a few angles show them gone. Since the Google Street view shows the crossing to Coca-Cola paved over, I'm guessing the angles withou the RXR markings are newer...
 #1272135  by mainline

Kaufman Allied in Central Islip and AJM Paper on the back track in Brentwood.
 #1272354  by Sir Ray

I was out in Suffolk today, and checked around a bit while I was out there.

While we already knew it was time to stick a fork in the Amerigas location in Wyandanch 'cause its done, we can now officially take the leftovers out of the fridge and dump it in the trash - the property now sports those feared, distressing, and depressing signs which are far too common on Long Island: "Available: Metro Realty" (I can't blame Metro for anything - they are merely carrion-eaters who scavenge the remains of failed businesses). Signs must have been posted after tj48 visited, there is one on the office and a few on the fences. No problem, we know lots of other propane companies are lining up to serve Long Island customers and offer competition in the market place like Paraco...oops, no they brought out Amerigas to eliminate a competitor. Wonderful.

The enclosed loading and sorting building on former Emjay Environmental Site (now Island Rail Terminal, I think that's the name still on the sign) that caught fire has been fully removed, and in it's place are several large open-air storage bins with walls constructed of those large concrete blocks, loaded by several conveyor that jut over the walls. There's a small beige modular office by the entrance, but how material flows though the facility I could not see without trespassing, and that wasn't going to happen.

With that in mind, who is left to serve on the Brentwood backtrack (I think this question was asked before) - Emjay is gone, and someone mentioned AJM Paper. Going back to NYCS map which shows 5 facilities, his Norternmost label is "Weyerhauser Plywood" which is a bit odd, as even Google lists that as US Non-Woven, and then south of the former Emjay is ELM Logistics and Azteca Milling (hopefully both still going with rail - can't really tell from Emjay Blvd).
 #1272364  by freightguy

Weyerhaeuser took a few cars of plywood when they opened up Elm Logistics again maybe around 2003. Someone said it was the first cars Weyerhauser lumber took on the island in like 25 years. That like many other costumers in shortline railroading was short lived. Pergament took a few cars in Elm also before leaving for good. I guess these days the back track is used for storage and switching purposes.

Someone mentioned in a different thread they started to clear the brush around the west end of Pineaire. Maybe they will finally extend the double ended freight siding to Executive Dr. The work is probably still a few years away though.
 #1272367  by Sir Ray

freightguy wrote:Someone mentioned in a different thread they started to clear the brush around the west end of Pineaire. Maybe they will finally extend the double ended freight siding to Executive Dr. The work is probably still a few years away though.
Did they even restore the switch on that double-ended siding - I don't recall reading about that (and I'm sure it would have been posted).
Both Google and Bing aerials show the west end switch gone and a bumper on the track, but those views are often a bit old.
 #1272626  by freightguy

Switch is in a few cars short of Executive Drive and a bit east of the Deer Park station platforms. No track currently running west of that bumping block.
 #1323822  by freightguy

The former Emjay Environmental site is now a proposed scrap metal transfer site to send out around 4 cars a day. This was the place that caught fire a couple of times on the north end of the Pineaire back track. The town of Islip has approved it, but like everywhere else on this island the local residents of Brentwood are calling it into question. No offense you know it's getting bad when Brentwood is calling industrial places into question!
 #1324183  by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:Gotta watch out for those "uppity" Brentwood residents!
Well, I'm not gonna touch that line. I do believe the Brentwood residents don't have much of a leg to stand on here (BTW, they didn't seem to stop the "emergency" trash transfer last summer), but from a practical standpoint Suffolk Ave. is one lousy truck access route to Emjay Blvd. I can't figure why a grade crossing wasn't build connecting Pine Air Drive directly to Emjay, say around Eisenhower Drive, decades ago (now its likely far too late) so heavy truck traffic does not need to traverse along the residential Suffolk Avenue at that point.
With that in place, Brentwood residents would have absolutely no legitimate complaints (beyond the reflexive NIMBY whining), as directly East across Emjay at the proposed scrap yard site there are industrial building, not residential backyards.
 #1334176  by freightguy

In 06/01/15 Newsday the town has postponed giving the go ahead for the scrap metal site off back track in Pineaire. Something about changing the zoning. I think they said the next Town of Islip planning board meeting is on 6/25. Gershow has a lock basically on Long Island scrap metal. I wonder if this new costumer is affiliated with them or maybe scrap cosignees more towards the city. From what I understand Gershow has been moving a lot of cars again from the Medford facility.