Railroad Forums 

• foreign locos on the NYS&W in the pre-DO era?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#882184  by Scaro

hi

i am wondering if there were any run-throughs or detours from other roads on the NYS&W in the pre-DO era, i'm thinking of the 60s and 70s? also did Susie-Q lease any locos from other lines?

basically looking for instances and locations where a model layout based on the susie-Q of that era could conceivably have a bit of variation in motive power.

some systems seemed to make a habit of leasing locos and run throughs, for example CNJ leased a lot of motive power and the L&HR used a fair number of CNJ and RDG units, but it was a bridge line so more rationale for 'foreign' units to appear. susie-Q was not, if you excepted freight coming from the interchanges at sparta and green pond but neither seems to have produced heavy tonnages for them. i've seen a couple of photos of 1800s in company with CNJ units, probably at a workshop somewhere, but i know less about the RR's east end and whether there were places where you'd see susie-Q and other RR units side by side.

regards, ben
 #882950  by njmidland

Before November of 1961, Lehigh & New England locomotives regularly traveled on the NYS&W between Swartswood Jct. and Hainesburg Jct. on trackage rights. The Erie, then the EL had a joint operation with the NYS&W between Susquehanna Transfer and Granton Jct. I believe there was one occasion where EL locomotives detoured over the NYS&W to get around a derailment south of Pompton on the Greenwood Lake line.