Railroad Forums 

• For Those Who Love Towers

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#104233  by 2nd trick op

Like a lot of railfans, I got intoduced to the hobby in part by a couple of friendly operators at the PRR interlocking tower in my home town of Nescopeck, Penna. That well-preserved collection of heavy machinery, little-changed from when it had been installed some 40 years before, left quite an impression on a visiting grade-schooler.

"NP" Tower was to be downgraded to part-time status within three years of my discovery, and to be razed the winter I left for college, but it gave me the inspiration to seek and visit other towers in other locations. By the time the last towers began to close in the mid-1990's, I had a "bag" of nearly 100.

So I was delighted to learn a few weeks ago of a new Yahoo group being formed with the purpose of building a database listing all the thousands of towers that once graced North America. The project has already located several thousand towers, and the work of collecting the vital statistics and particular history of each is just beginning.

So please pay us a visit at

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/A ... gtowerlist

and pass along any information you can.

#106517  by The S.P. Caboose

Thanks for sharing the info.

I know Mission Tower in Los Angeles still stands. I'll be interested in seeing if Dayton Avenue Tower by the old Southern Pacific Taylor Yard is still around.

#114782  by SRS125

There is a foundation to a tower between Memphis, NY and Solavy, NY on the North Side of the tracks between Pottery Road and RT 690. I don't recall the mile post it was near.