Railroad Forums 

• for NJT fans who are also into computer things

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#520607  by firthorfifth06

I've been interested for a long time in creating an NJT computer simulation.

Computer model rail builder programs don't seem to meet my vision on how the thing would work. I'm just trying to create a model on the computer to see how everything works. In the end, a user of such a program would be able to edit NJT trains for their own amusement and to study options that are fesiable before posting replies to topics on this board. Other trains on the system (i.e.: SEPTA, Amtrak, NS, CSX, ConRail, PATH, and PATCO) are not subject to user editing (meaning creating new trains makes you work around that) Here are my ideas of project phases:

Phase 1: Data collection 1. Data collection 1 would cover the track map (use checkthedoorlight's as a basis) for the entire state and area that NJT covers. This would also cover the train information from the timetable, and a list of the rolling stock from an up-to-date list of rolling stock.

Phase 2: Data collection 2. Data collection 2 would cover technical aspects of the system. First, equipment manipulations (only for what sets run as what trains) would be constructed and schedules for in and out of yards (even if made up). Also, the signal system and grade crossings would be constructed.

Phase 3: Train programming. This would include the following: Freight trains travelling on the system, Amtrak trains travelling on the system, and SEPTA trains travelling on the system (the R7 would be present from Trenton to North Philly). PATH and PATCO would also be included.

Phase 4: Scene Graphics. In this phase the back drops and stations would be textured. Also, station platforms and structures would be modeled.

Phase 5: Train Graphics. This phase includes models for the cars/locomotives as well as textures and sound files.

Phase 6: Rest of the stuff. AI programming to run the trains not controlled by user as well as the trains the user creates. AI can be accessed from the towers all throughout the game.

Please let me know if there are any ideas im missing or if something like this already exists and im just wasting my time by posting....

#520650  by Chessie GM50

Well, do you know how to program a game? (e.g. type of code, how to view your work). I know some Flash, but I think that it would be useless for this.
 #520660  by blockline4180

firthorfifth06 wrote:Phase 5: Train Graphics. This phase includes models for the cars/locomotives as well as textures and sound files.

Please let me know if there are any ideas im missing or if something like this already exists and im just wasting my time by posting....
Please do include Comet I's and IB graphics since these cars will most likely be just a memory soon on NJT in "real life" railroading.

#520695  by firthorfifth06

I have a very limited programming language base: I know only MatLab, PERL, POVRay, and some very basic systems dynamics and rules-based programming.

I am trying to see if maybe a team could be formed to collaboratively work on such a project.

I want to make a simulation that's as real-life as possible, but also has room for a little fantasy. i.e.: NJT with an option for the little dream projects: MOM, West Trenton, Cutoff, West Shore, Susie Q, NY-AC Express, Weekend Boonton, etc.

If you are interested in taking part, send me a PM to join the team and we can divide jobs :)

#520805  by firthorfifth06

i would consider it if it were free.....i am but a broke college student lol

#520912  by jersey_emt

I don't think you are aware of the amount of time and effort it would take to create a simulation game (even if you use an open source 3D rendering engine so you don't have to code your own).

#520977  by Jersey_Mike

Buy or obtain a copy of Train Dispatcher and Track Builder. That lets you input the track layout and then implement a schedule then run it all.

#521052  by Otto Vondrak

Are you talking about a train simulator with graphics, or a simulation of a "model board" that would track the progress of trains across the line? There are already programs that do all of this...

#521192  by Grump

From what I can interpret, it seems like it would be along the lines of one of the commercial train dispatching simulators but with real photo type graphics and actual consists opposed to just a red line on the screen???

#522269  by ChemiosMurphy

This is impossible. This would take SO ridiculously long it is not even funny. I did a bit of programming a few years ago and even simple text based stuff takes hundreds of lines. Your best bet is to wait until MSTS 2 comes out and create your own line or some other way. It takes companies MILLIONs to create games, even simple ones. It's just not feasible.

#524789  by Sid Farkus

You should really just make one NJT route for MSTS. That alone will take a long time if you want to make it high quality. Might I suggest a simple line out of their hub, Hoboken. If you don't want to do that pick a line that YOU (the maker) are familiar with and visit the locations on the libe frequently. If you wanted to make your own completely different simulation, you are dreaming.