Railroad Forums 

• Floods cut rail link in Australia .

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#201028  by David Benton

Floods cut rail link

Hundreds of passengers were stranded after flash floods cut the main rail link between Western Australia and the eastern states, forcing the cancellation of freight and passenger services.

The Australian Rail Track Corporation said a 1km section of the track at Nurina around 1150km east of Perth, was washed away. It was expected to be repaired by tomorrow afternoon.
 #201731  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Floods cut rail link

Hundreds of passengers were stranded after flash floods cut the main rail link between Western Australia and the eastern states, forcing the cancellation of freight and passenger services.

The Australian Rail Track Corporation said a 1km section of the track at Nurina around 1150km east of Perth, was washed away. It was expected to be repaired by tomorrow afternoon.
Is that in the Nullarbor?

#202391  by David Benton

I would say it would be George , i know Kargoolie is around 650 k.ms east of Perth , and thats on the border of the Nullabor .

#202585  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I would say it would be George , i know Kargoolie is around 650 k.ms east of Perth , and thats on the border of the Nullabor .
Rain is rather rare in the Nullarbor. However, it isn't a sandy desert but one dominated by Spinifex grass, so there must be some rain.
I remember it from the Indian-Pacific which I joined at Kalgoorlie when I had a rail pass for the whole of Australia in 1986.

#202682  by David Benton

i know the new line to alice springs was largely built to bypass stretches of the old line that passed over dry river beds , which would become raging torrents when it rained . with the weather getting more extreme , we can probably expect more of this kind of thing .