Railroad Forums 

• Flooding in Penna.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#266979  by rhallock

Regarding the Stourbridge line, I went through Honesdale a few days ago and asked about it at the Chamber of Commerce which runs the trains. I was told that the trains weren't running this weeking due to flood damage, but that they were hoping to run from Honesdale to Hawley again by next Saturday, July 15. They said that between Hawley and Lackawaxen, it had been out of service since Hurricane Ivan two years ago. I went to Hawley and looked around and found that the bridge near milepost 125 on the east side of town had been badly damaged. Can't say from which flood. The bridge is about 200 ft long and for half of it, the rails and some ties were suspended in mid air. The massive girders were completely gone, nothing in sight. Piers had been damaged but were still there. Low lying houses nearby had been flooded and red cross workers were still going around looking for people in them. They thought the houses might have to be demolshed. It will be a major project to rebuild the bridge but the Cof C people said they were hoping to do it sometime. Fortunately the gravity caboose in Hawley had not been damaged. For reference, the passenger stop is near MP 126 on the west side of Hawley.