Railroad Forums 

• Fletcher Granite Quarry and Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#134855  by NellsChoo

Hold on, I think am am confused. I know Fletcher has/had their own switcher, therefore rails. So what is a "transload"? Something to do with trucks?

#135807  by cpf354

NellsChoo wrote:Hold on, I think am am confused. I know Fletcher has/had their own switcher, therefore rails. So what is a "transload"? Something to do with trucks?
You got it. It's a major way of handling freight by rail, especially here in New England where so many branch lines(and even main lines) have been abandonded. Rail cars are unloaded and their contents transferred to trucks for delivery to the customer.

#136112  by NellsChoo

Ok then, why do they keep a switcher? Too difficult to get a large truck in and out of the quarry? I don't know how the place is set up, but I'm sure there are some pretty steep cliffs...

#136216  by cpf354

NellsChoo wrote:Ok then, why do they keep a switcher? Too difficult to get a large truck in and out of the quarry? I don't know how the place is set up, but I'm sure there are some pretty steep cliffs...
They have a working railroad to go down into the quarry, which is quite deep. You can go take a tour of it if you want.
http://www.fletchergranite.com/fletchergranite.htm

#136582  by roberttosh

The reason the rates are higher to the quarry is that Guilford figured that they were paying quite a bit to transload and truck the Stone from Larsen reload, so by having direct rail to the quarry, they figured they could charge alot more on the rail rate and still be as competitive as going through the reload. Obviously they are charging too much.

#264023  by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

#264025  by Guilford Guy

ok
I just found that
I'm going to see if I and some friends can get a tour this summer
 #264029  by elecuyer

That is the operations of the Fletcher Granate Company Quarry. The first photo shows the connection being restored to the Guilford Main Line. The second is part of the granite processing operation.

They use the 44 tonner to shuttle granite from the pit to the processing plant. They cross Route 40 in Westford during the process.

The connection to Guilford was recently restored after being abandoned (with rails in-place) for 20+ years. However, it (to my knowledge) has yet to see regular use - as it remains cheaper to truck stuff in and out.

Fletcher Quarry was known for many years as the "resting place" for two ex-B&M 0-6-0 switchers. One is now on display in Lowell, Ma.; the other in New York State. In fact, B&M 410 was the last 'cargo' that used the Guilford connection, prior to its restoration. The 410 was shipped by rail to the Billerica shops, then eventually to Lowell. The second switcher (411?) went out of the quarry by truck.

The ROW of the NAB is further west, just past the Groton/Westford town line. It is *very* hard to spot from Route 40 - due to the overgrowth of 70+ years.

-Ed Lecuyer
Groton, MA

#264059  by Guilford Guy

I didnt think It was the NA&B but looking on maps and not even finding a branch I assumed it was the NA&B although I was quite surprised that it would still have track

#269776  by NHN1757

As Ed said, that line is the Fletcher Quarry RR. The NAB has no iron down.

Good luck getting a tour, there was an article in the B&M Bulletin not too long ago that had some really nice pictures and information on the quarry but the article said in about 8 places, don't bother asking to get a tour of the place. So don't be surprised if you don't have any luck, but I'd try anyway. You never know.

Local.live.com has some great shots of the quarry and you can easily follow the line from the Stony Brook up to the quarry.

The NAB is west of the quarry line and should show up quite nicely on local.live although I haven't looked yet.

#272437  by NellsChoo

Railpace magazine recently stated that the new, now not so new, siding was finally being used. I think it sat there due to Guilford's rates. I'd love to catch action on that spur!

#274898  by JohnK

Where is the actual former junction in Westford of the Stony Brook (current Guilford main line), and the Nashua, Acton, & Boston? In old schedules and route lists, both lines list "Graniteville" as stations, but in driving all around Graniteville last year I could find no trace of where the N, A, & B would have crossed. Or maybe I saw it and didn't recognize it.

Thank you.
 #274924  by ferroequinarchaeologist

From Graniteville, head northwest, cross Stony Brook, turn left (southwest) find St. Catherine's Church on East Prescott Street. A few yards northeast of St. C you should find traces of the NA&B crossing the road, running NW to SE. The actual diamond was southeast, back towards Stony Brook. Maybe you can walk it, maybe it's private property.

You should become familiar with www.maptech.com. Use their Historical Maps to find original rail lines, then switch to the current topo to locate it as it is today.

PBM