Railroad Forums 

• Flange marks at Ludlow Station crossing

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1324916  by CGRLCDR

I drive Ludlow Station Road in Bethlehem Township, Hunterdon County to get to work in the morning. Yesterday I noticed flange marks at the crossing of the old CNJ tracks, now NJT, to Phillipsburg. These tracks have been out of service since 1988. I think NJT probably inspected the track with a high-railer to check for damage from the winter. They go through there periodically, but at unpredictable times. I'd like to get a photo if I ever see them real time. Usually they only go as far as the NS boundary derailer in Bloomsbury.
 #1326037  by Zeke

They usually get up there around 10 am on Monday mornings. The whole line from Cranford to end of track gets hy-railed every Monday morning after rush hour.
 #1326353  by CGRLCDR

There hasn't been anything down this end of the line in over 6 months. Yesterday I checked a couple of other crossings west of Ludlow Station Road and found signs that they had been through there with a flail brush cutter. At one crossing they drove over the section of the crossing that was paved over. They're lucky they didn't got into the dirt, although with a high-railer it probably wouldn't have been a problem. I'm glad they're keeping up the Phillipsburg Branch.