Railroad Forums 

• Fixing Track, Erie Blvd., Rome, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1430019  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

In recent days, I've noticed that the M.A.&N. has had crew s clearing the right of way, and replacing a lot of ties along Erie Blvd. Between strip steel, and Spectrum. As far as I know that aside from the olive oil plant at Griffis, American Alloy steel on E. Dominick St. Is the only buisness now being served downtown by the railroad. Rome Strip steel along the Blvd. hasn't been shipping by rail since last year. All shipments appear that they are being trucked now. So why the track improvements? Nothing northwest of strip steel left to serve, other than the spur to the Runnings distribution center, and the tracks and signals on rt. 46 were lifted years ago, which means the 46 crossing would have to be relaid to serve Runnings. Just wondering what's up with the track improvements? Crews seem to be working fast. Car storage? Codes maybe? New customers?
 #1430046  by ut-1

I think they may want to store empty propane tank cars there. Many have been stored between Boonville-Lyons Falls and they may be running out of track to store cars there,
 #1430065  by pumpers

I found these pics online: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97630304@ ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97630304@ ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you flip forward and back, there are about 6-10 photos and comments of track being fixed along Erie Blvd back in August 2015. Don't know if this is the same area as in the NYC's post, maybe the project stalled and is being restarted. In one of the pics the poster speculates about possible car storage. JS
 #1430156  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Will do! Drove alongside the Runnings distribution center where a bulldozer had cleared some of the grass alongside the spur. Perhaps so they can easily replace ties? I don't know, but they have something in store for the near future. I hope it's more customers!!!
 #1440655  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

I noticed MOW crew making major track improvements on the Mohawk, Adirondack, & Northern in downtown Rome. Many new ties, and ever some rail. ROW cleared, and it looks like a new switch was put in at Madison Street to connect a defunct section of track. Anyone know what all the improvements are for? I know that earlier this summer, the track was temporarily used to store tankers. Seems like a rather large scale operation just for car storage.
 #1440790  by lvrr325

At Madison Street looks like there was a long runaround with sidings into Owl Wire on the west side and into a demolished building on the east side. The latter switch was removed sometime between 2013 and October 2015, maybe to use elsewhere.

West of there the two tracks ran to a crossover and then the south, siding track ended under some kind of covered loading or unloading area for Worthington Industries, plus tied back into the main there for a short runaround track.

Would have to presume one of those two is using rail again, unless the switch goes elsewhere.

I was hoping they were fixing the track along Canal Street instead.
 #1440860  by jakirk

I went to check out the area today. GVT and city crews were busy rebuilding the S. George St. crossing. The passing siding that started between S. George St. and S. Madison has been shortened, and now starts west of S. Madison at the newly installed turnout, with the now unused portion removed, the ties and rails piled up along the row, and the turnout into Owl Wire gone. There was a tamper in the siding at Worrington, all storage tank cars are gone.
 #1441381  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

jakirk wrote:lvrr325, the Canal St. Line was pulled a couple of years ago, though all the road crossings and associated signs still are in place.
Yep, and they did a pretty job cleaning up everything:( except for the crossings. Glad I had the frame of mind to snag a tie plate during the process after eating at coal yards. That would have been cool to see some switching on the old woman. I'm still wondering what all of the track improvements in Rome are for. Seems like lot of work and money for car storage. Crossings my fingers that they have new costomers