Railroad Forums 

• First time visiting Maine

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#123478  by dhaugh

I'll be visiting Maine for a few days in the summer for the first time, and was wondering what routes see the most daily action (freight). Thanks.
 #123517  by henry6

In Maine go for the scenery rather than the action...especially if it is your first time to the state all you will be looking at is the scenery! My son moved from Upstate NY to Portland area several years ago and I still mainly work the scenery for quality and enjoyment of the moment rather than lots of trains and rolls of film. Relax and enjoy Maine and the scenery and the food and the trains!

#123606  by ThinkNarrow

Don't forget Maine's two-foot railroads. The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum in Portland has an excellent collection of two-foot equipment and a scenic ride along the seaside. The Sandy River & Rangley Lakes and the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington are both rebuilding sections of their respective namesake railroads on their original roadbeds. Both offer scenic rides through the Maine countryside. The Boothbay Railway Village has a nice little loop using Henschel engines and an excellent antique car collection. Each of these has a website you can find via Google.

-John

#123780  by SLR 393

Rigby in South Portland, and Danville/Lewiston Junctions in Auburn are the places to go for the most action. What part of the state are you staying in?

#123989  by dhaugh

I think I'll be staying along the coast near Portland. I realize Maine isn't going to have any heavy, double track mains, but I would like to spend some time on a track that I'd at least see a train or two. I might be driving around a bit, so tracks in northern Maine are not necessarily out of reach. How many trains a day (approx) do these tracks see? Thanks.

#123991  by mwhite

The Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington in Alna is EXCLLENT and worth the trip alone. Also, Maine Eastern is planning Brunswick-Rockland service Thursday, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Fantastic scenery, nice equipment, railfan friendly crews. Check out their site at http://www.maineeasternrailroad.com.
 #124015  by henry6

Portland has a narrow guage right downtown! Then, drive Route 1 north to Brunswick and Bath and Wiscassette...(visit the W&F less than 5 miles off Rt 1 here)...continue to Rockland even to Boothbay Harbor for it's narrow guage train!...be sure to get local map(s) that show side roads and railroads but be respectful of private property. South of Portland, be sure to go to Kennebunport and ride, not just look, t ride whatever and all they've got running. Most of all relax and take in the scenery: go for quality not quantity in Maine and you'll be happy. Quantity will come because you will be back. Guarenteed!
 #124237  by henry6

Also don't know where you're coming from, but MA, NH and VT offer great opportunities to and from Maine...lots of track, lots of scenery, few trains. But lots of fun. Just pick one or two places. Note that Portland is as far north as Whitehall, NY and Rutland, VT, so it you are coming from the south (NYC, etc,) or the west, consider crossing NE on a northerly course or on Route 2 across MA (paralleling the B&M) and drop down to see Hoosac Tunnel, the Mowhawk trail and East Deerfield. The routes are endless, scenic, and full of tracks.

#124259  by bwparker1

Rigby Yard in South Portland is where you want to be if you want to see Freight, but it is less as the DownEaster comes through during the day.

Portland had an awesome set up for Rail at one time, but much has been abandoned. If you can get to the Maine Narrow Guage museum, they have a great reproduction Map of the area at it's peak, in the 1940's that shows all lines present, both MEC and GT.

Brooks

Former Freeport, Resident, I'll be in Maine too in about 2 weeks.

#124307  by dhaugh

In terms of traffic density, what is the busiest freight line in Maine? How many trains in 24 hours?

#124345  by bwparker1

The best info out the web is on Chuck Petlick's Northern New England Web site, the guy is incredible, it is no frills but the info is kept quite accurate.

See the Guilford site.

http://home.comcast.net/~petlick/grs.htm

The busiest seciton is the Old MEC Maine (North towards Bangor) and Old B&M (South towards Boston) which converge in Rigby Yard, where I told you you should go in South Portland. The MEC might have fewer trains, but they are all Freight. You are going to see mostly Amtrak during the day on the Old B&M, I support Passenger Rail, but I like to Watch Freight, so again, I would check out Rigby and see if you can catch something coming or leaving. If Bud is on the board, he may have more specific info.

Cheers,
Brooks

#124346  by bwparker1

In terms of number of trains in 24 hours, maybe 6-12 is accurate, maybe a few more if you count locals.

Brooks

#124352  by walt

If you have any interest in electric traction, the Seashore Trolley Museum ( the oldest and largest of the traction museums) is located near Kinnebunkport (SP?) in Southern Maine. Seashore has a wealth of preserved streetcars, interurban cars-- from all over North America, and some rapid transit cars-- well worth the diversion.

#124391  by roberttosh

Yup, the Rt 1 bridge (or thereabouts) over the East end of Rigby yard is likely the busiest spot for freight trains in the state. Petlick's site shows 3 freights each way daily on the old B&M West of Rigby, I was under the impression there was only two each way? East of the yard there are definately 3 each way and a local or two.