Railroad Forums 

• First time catching Ferromex...

• Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.
Discussion concerning Mexico's Class I railroad, and other Mexican rail operations. Official web-site: https://www.ferromex.com.mx/index-eng.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KSC Mexican operations should remain in the KCS forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1320014  by BigDell

At 9AM this morning as I was on NJT on the NEC. As I was north of the airport and south of Newark Penn Stn, a NS and Ferromex pair were pulling a long train of hoppers on the bridge above us (heading to the LV I'm guessing?). I admit it's the first Ferromex engine I'd seen and I regretted being in a moving train and not able to get an engine number or quick photo. I'd read they travel up here now and then with BNSF for oil trains and such. Is this still unusual or are they up here on a regular basis? It's one of the few photos I've NOT managed to take on the LV to date...
 #1320048  by waldwickrailfan

BigDell wrote:At 9AM this morning as I was on NJT on the NEC. As I was north of the airport and south of Newark Penn Stn, a NS and Ferromex pair were pulling a long train of hoppers on the bridge above us (heading to the LV I'm guessing?). I admit it's the first Ferromex engine I'd seen and I regretted being in a moving train and not able to get an engine number or quick photo. I'd read they travel up here now and then with BNSF for oil trains and such. Is this still unusual or are they up here on a regular basis? It's one of the few photos I've NOT managed to take on the LV to date...
Yes, that is the Conrail Lehigh Line. Train was NS 11J (Newark,NJ-Detroit,MI) I've seen 2, both on CSX. 1 was an ethanol train, and another on both an autorack and a trash train. It is unusual, as they come maybe every other month. Sometimes more often.
 #1320065  by BigDell

Thank you WaldrickRailFan! Great info. Okay - so that's the next "prize" when I go out with the camera.... That'd be a nice one to bag.

I mean...what was nice was to see something that really caught my eye and was unusual. I'm so used to seeing the same trainsets every day. It almost took me back to the feeling I used to get when I was a kid In the 70's and I had a mix of all the NE railroads on the corridor, the CNJ and the LV line... you never really knew what was going to come down the line next. From a "railfan" pov, it was nice....