Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#150453  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, and I think they are gonna have the same cab access door windows like the R44 and up cars, clear glass only to be occupied with the fuzzy material of course for obvious reasons but still clear enough for you to see through the front straight ahead and at the same time not bother/distract the engineer. Which is still a win-win situation for everybody.

#150645  by F40

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, and I think they are gonna have the same cab access door windows like the R44 and up cars, clear glass only to be occupied with the fuzzy material of course for obvious reasons but still clear enough for you to see through the front straight ahead and at the same time not bother/distract the engineer. Which is still a win-win situation for everybody.
The "fuzzy" material on R142's (and I presume R143's) hurts your eyes more to look through them than the ones on the R44's, 46's, 68's, etc. where at least the 68's have a square "cut out" so if you get lucky, you can still look out the front with 2 sets of glass.

I would think the R160's will have the new material the R142's, R143's have and it will make you dizzy after a short time because the light rays through the cab door glass are skewed.

#150824  by Robert Paniagua

I didn't know that the fuzzy material on the neweer cars was different. I thought it was the same as the older cars. Most likely it's now made of different material than the special filter material for the older models.

#150869  by 4 Express

I like the wallpaper on the M7's. Also I didn't know that the R-62's had that fuzzy material on them.

#150950  by F40

4 Express wrote:I like the wallpaper on the M7's. Also I didn't know that the R-62's had that fuzzy material on them.
If you're in an R62(A) corner cab, you can clearly see out of the front. You can still see through the small window implemented on the cab door on full-width cabs and then look through 2 sets of glass, provided the motorman doesn't have anything hanging from the hook inside that blocks the view.

#150961  by 4 Express

F40 wrote:
4 Express wrote:I like the wallpaper on the M7's. Also I didn't know that the R-62's had that fuzzy material on them.
If you're in an R62(A) corner cab, you can clearly see out of the front. You can still see through the small window implemented on the cab door on full-width cabs and then look through 2 sets of glass, provided the motorman doesn't have anything hanging from the hook inside that blocks the view.
Yes, I know, I was reffering to when Robert Paniagua said this:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah, and I think they are gonna have the same cab access door windows like the R44 and up cars, clear glass only to be occupied with the fuzzy material of course for obvious reasons but still clear enough for you to see through the front straight ahead and at the same time not bother/distract the engineer. Which is still a win-win situation for everybody.
but thanks for explaining F40.
Last edited by 4 Express on Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#151084  by 7 Train

I don't mind wallpaper interiors. I prefer faux wood with the wallpaper, and glass partitions found on the R44/46 and similiar to the MNR/LIRR M-1/2/3/4/6.

#151795  by F40

From today's NY Times:

"A $1.1 billion contract to build 660 subway cars for New York City has run into significant problems, including damage to two car shells during shipment from Brazil and a failure to order parts that must be installed before safety and mechanical tests can begin. The problems were made known this week in a report commissioned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

According to the report, the problems revolve around Alstom, a French conglomerate that was hired in 2002 to build 400 of the cars.
The other construction company, Kawasaki, has met its contract requirements so far, according to the report. Tests were completed at the manufacturing site in Kobe, Japan, in May, and Kawasaki's 10-car prototype is expected to be delivered by Friday."

www.nytimes.com/2005/07/27/nyregion/27subway.html

I guess Alstom is not a very reliable company to work with, esp with the Comet V issue with NJT.

#151806  by Robert Paniagua

Maybe they should hire Nippon-Sharyo and Siemens (or even CKD Praha) to manufacture the rest of those R160 cars if Alstom can't do them......

#152254  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

That's what happens when you deal with Bombardier; car bodies from Brazil. Oh, I'm sure the metal will withstand rigorous crash testing, right. Don't think so. As for ordering from Siemens, you can forget that. NYCTA doesn't order from any German firm. I'm shocked that they used them for the L Line automated train equipment. Perhaps they're the only game in town in that area.

#152271  by R384149

were the seimans test motors taken of those 2 R143 sets that had them?

#152576  by R142A

R384149 wrote:were the seimans test motors taken of those 2 R143 sets that had them?
Yes, they have AdTranz propulsion now.

#152577  by R142A

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:That's what happens when you deal with Bombardier; car bodies from Brazil. Oh, I'm sure the metal will withstand rigorous crash testing, right. Don't think so. As for ordering from Siemens, you can forget that. NYCTA doesn't order from any German firm. I'm shocked that they used them for the L Line automated train equipment. Perhaps they're the only game in town in that area.
First off, it wasn't Bombardier, it was ALSTOM.

Secondly, the R160B (Kawasaki) have SIEMENS PROPULSION!

#152589  by 4 Express

R142A wrote:
R384149 wrote:were the seimans test motors taken of those 2 R143 sets that had them?
Correction, Bombraider.

#152617  by R142A

4 Express wrote:
R142A wrote:
Correction, Bombraider.
Not really, when the propulsion systems were made, they were produced by AdTranz, not Bombardier.