Railroad Forums 

• First NS Through Coal Train on WNYP Tuesday AM

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1952  by nessman

Reliable sources indicate that the very first NS through coal train will be leaving Meadville and heading eastbound tomorrow morning.

The tentative schedule for this week is one train train Tuesday, another on Thursday and one on Saturday. An empty is scheduled to come back west about around Wednesday or Thursday.

Happy chasing.

#2129  by railwatcher

Joshua,

Thats the whole enchalada, Meadville to Hornell

#2167  by nessman

A westbound NS detour train is scheduled to hit the WNYP in Hornell around 1:00 PM today and exit at Olean. My source said detour trains (as in more than one) but didn't elaborate any further.

It's official boys and girls - the WNYP is fully open for business today. A huge milestone for them.
 #2179  by bwparker1

Les,

You may not know, but by exiting in Olean, do they mean heading South on the Buffalo line over Keating Summit or North into Buffalo? If heading into Buffalo, it would seem strange because they could continue westward as opposed to running on the old NKP but maybe Buffalo is the destination.

Thanks,
Brooks
 #2189  by nessman

bwparker1 wrote:You may not know, but by exiting in Olean, do they mean heading South on the Buffalo line over Keating Summit or North into Buffalo?
Beats me. I just forward along the info that I receive.

I would presume it's going north to Buffalo due to track work after Sunday's derailment in Silver Springs, but that's a guess at best.

#2210  by thannon

Probably due to the second derailment near Burns, NY.

Tom H>

#2260  by thebigham

Too bad that the weather is horrible or I'd go down to Olean to watch the first train.

Chris

#2265  by railwatcher

According to WKPQ News 105.3 FM in Hornell, at approximately 10:30am this morning 8 cars of a NS Frieght train derailed in Burns NY, Allegany County. So the detours are a necessity. Guess the WNYP got that line open just in time. I thought things were quiet on the line in Arkport this morning. For the record, the news agency stated that no public offices were notified of the derailment in Allegany, Steuben or Livingston Counties, to include 911, Sheriff Dept, Fire Service, or State Police.

#2315  by railwatcher

Lets make an adjustment to this story...... go to www.eveningtribune.com

Picture is worth a thousand words. 11 cars involved, and the time was 5 am

#2375  by nessman

NS 12T departed Hornell via WNYP today at 1533 headed for NS at Olean.
NS 524 from Meadville about midnight tonight.
NS 525 from Hornell tomorrow morning around daybreak.

#2382  by joshuahouse

Just remember, no 911 in Steuben county. I can't imagine that they carry the #s for the 20 or so fire and police departments that they would pass thru in Steuben in the locomotive.

#2392  by railwatcher

Burns is still Allegany Co. and although Steuben hasnt come out from under its rock with 911 service, if you dial 911 the nearest county will recieve it. Thats the magic of the 911 system and cell phones. Also, when a particular county 911 system gets overloaded, calls forward to the next closest 911 center. A tree branch effect. Then calls are forwarded or info is passed via the intercounty Fire Frequency 45.88 mhz. in NY State
 #2490  by NYSW3614

There's been a three unit, 29 car train on the NYSW Syracuse side tonight with SOO 6034 and 2 other CP units. Would this be a detour train or borrowed power, and if a detour, would more be expected?