Railroad Forums 

• First Cross Country Amtrak Trip

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#433783  by WMATAGMOAGH

I chronicled my first cross country trip in a travelogue at www.orenstransitpage.com/amtraktrip. The trip took me to Chicago, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, and San Francisco, and I rode transit in each of those cities. Feel free to read through it and comment. The posts are in reverse chronological order and you can filter out the non-Amtrak or non-transit related stuff by using the links on the right side of the page. You will eventually be able to view the photos from my trip on my website, www.orenstransitpage.com.

Here is a synopsis of the trip:

Saturday, July 28: Boarded the Capitol Limited in Washington, DC
Saturday, July 29: Arrived in Chicago 46 minutes early, rode the CTA Green Line, attended White Sox-Blue Jays game at Comiskey Park, overnight in Deerfield, IL
Monday, July 30: Railfanned on a number of CTA lines completing my tour of the system, attended Cubs-Phillies game at Wrigley Field, overnight in Deerfield, IL
Tuesday, July 31: Walked around downtown Chicago in the morning, boarded the Empire Builder in the early afternoon
Wednesday, August 1: On board the Empire Builder
Thursday, August 2: Arrived in Portland, OR 16 minutes early, went to the Portland Rose Garden, rode TriMet MAX Light Rail and Portand Streetcar, boarded Amtrak Cascades train 508 to Seattle, arrived in Seattle 1 minute early (they got pulled from service the next morning), overnight in Seattle
Friday, August 3: Touring in Seattle, attended Mariners-Red Sox game at Safeco Field, overnight in Seattle
Saturday, August 4: Took Amtrak Thruway Bus to Vancouver, BC, arrived about 52 minutes late due to delays at the border, went for two walks around parts of the city in the afternoon and watched fireworks over English Bay, overnight in Vancouver
Sunday, August 5: Day trip to Whistler, site of many 2010 Olympic Events, overnight in Vancouver
Monday, August 6: Toured Downtown Vancouver and ferry ride to Bowen Island, rode West Vancouver Blue Bus and Translink, overnight in Vancouver
Tuesday, August 7: Rode the entire Skytrain system over the course of the day, also Seabus to North Vancouver, overnight in Vancouver
Wednesday, August 8: Flew from Vancouver to San Francisco, attended Giants-Nationals game at AT&T Park (I'm an avid baseball fan and bought tickets to two games for while I was in San Francisco, but Barry Bonds hit the record breaking home run the night before I arrived), overnight in San Francisco
Thursday, August 9: Attended Giants-Nationals game at AT&T Park, rode MUNI Metro Subway/Streetcars, F-Market Street Line, and cable cars, took BART to Oakland Airport, boarded redeye flight from Oakland to Washington, DC
Friday, August 10: Arrived in Washington, DC, returned home