Railroad Forums 

• Fired from a RR Job

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1288533  by BobLI

I'm confused about the shove rule. If the tanker is the first car on a shove you have to be on the next car back riding that? Or just walking along the track next to the tank?
 #1288701  by Desertdweller

This is a hard rule to understand why. Apparently, someone was seriously injured or killed doing this somewhere at some time.

Most tank cars only have one vertical handhold at the side of the end platform. This makes it especially difficult to mount a moving tank car. Mounting moving equipment is now forbidden on many railroads. There have been instances where an employee misses a stirrup and gets their leg taken off. This could happen on any car, but is especially possible on tank cars and flat cars.

On the other hand, if you are walking alongside the car and it derails, you have a better chance of being crushed than if you were riding it.

Tank cars, probably more so than any other tank, have to be spotted in close-clearance locations. Loading racks; alongside buildings or storage tanks.
This means there are fewer opportunities to walk alongside the move.

The best alternative is to be ahead of the move and watch it as it approaches you. This, again, can be difficult. Loading/unloading racks can block the view, plus these tracks are often built on curves or even grades.

Les
 #1290909  by MichaelB86

I'm confused too. I thought you couldn't ride on a tank car UNLESS it was the last car in a cut and you were on the rear of it relative to the direction of travel. I've also ridden a tank car on a shove as it was the first car relative to the direction of travel. I stood on the rear platform behind that nifty bar. Perhaps we aren't getting the whole story?

Rule 81.7 in regards to tank cars reads:

"Employees may only ride a tank car when the tank car is the first car in a shoving movement or the last car in a cut of cars being handled.

Employees must maintain three or four-point contact and:

When Shoving:

Be on leading end of leading car.
Be positioned to ride behind the safety bar outside the gauge of the track. If unable to ride behind the safety bar, employee may ride on the outer portion of the crossover platform facing the direction of movement, positioned outside the gauge of the track.
Place both feet on the car to provide secure contact with the car. If unable to place both feet in a secure position, employee must not ride the car.

When pulling:

Be on the trailing end platform of the last car, facing the direction of movement.
Place both feet on the end platform to provide secure contact with the car."
 #1292750  by TotalLamer

When it comes to CSX at least, you can only ride tank cars on a pull, not a shove. So if you're on a road train making a pickup and you have to swing your cut over the interlocking and then shove back to your train on the main... you ride it out past the signal, then walk ALLLLLLL the way to your train and then start the shove towards you. Can't walk alongside because you're not allowed to shove with your back to the movement.