Railroad Forums 

• Fire House Alarms

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#107263  by hajelliott

How many Fire Houses in NJ still have a steam engine tire hanging in front, to use as an alarm bell?
Al

#107270  by railbird

i remember one in audubon up to a few yrs ago . they closed the firehouse though, and i dont know what happened to it.

#107345  by NY&LB

There's one in Middletown, Route 35 southbound about 1 mile before Red Bank.

#107385  by james1787

Ours was up until 1992 (Chatham Twp Fire Dept) when our building was torn down to build a larger firehouse on River Road. The steam engine tire is now affixed to the side of the building near the lower entrance on the rear of the building. We would have put it up, but due to the building's larger size, there was no place to hang it. I doubt it has seen use as an alarm bell in years as radio paging devices came out in the 60's and 70's and they used the sirens put in during the cold war before that (there is only one operational surviving siren in town).

#107397  by raced1111

There is one hanging in front of the fire house in Milford. I often wondered what it was for, now I know.

#107432  by wis bang

Cranbury, NJ re-hung theirs a few years ago when they built a new building, article in the local weekly paper even listed what PRR loco the tire came from & how the young guy re-making the support frame was using Locust wood just like the original frame due to it's rot resistance.

Another one hangs on Rt-130 in Washington Twsp [mercer cnty]

#107452  by Ken W2KB

By me, Califon, Hunterdon County, and Chester, Morris County. I've seen more around the area, but don't recall specifically where.

#107469  by JLo

Pt. Pleasant Beach, Ocean Fire Co. No. 1, used to have one. Don't know if they still do.

#107530  by snavely

Point Pleasant Beach's is still there. Also Brick has one in front of the Herbertsville Fire Co. on Herbertsville Road.

#107549  by RichM

Used to be one at the corner of Blanch Ave and Summit St. in Norwood. Used to sit in it when I was a tiny kid, never knew what it was made from. Thanks, guys!
 #107555  by henry6

...were they all steam locomotive driving wheel tires or were some wagon wheel tires? Or something else?

#107566  by rvrrhs

Re: Springfield--Don't know, actually. I just assumed they were all the same. (Not a fire department buff).

#107675  by jmp883

For the most part they were old locomotive wheels. The fire company I'm a member of had one in the early 1900's, it was replaced with an electric siren.

In Ringwood, the next town up from me, the Stonetown Fire Company has a loco wheel hung in front of their firehouse.

Joe P :-D

#108097  by Dougster

I beleive Lavalette in Ocean county has one in front of their firehouse.

Doug