• Fire at the Brentwood recycler on Emjay Blvd.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Sir Ray

From Newsday
The huge gutted structure at a Brentwood recycling facility was still smoking Wednesday afternoon as firefighters battled hot pockets in a building that more than 24 hours earlier had been ravaged by fire
Newsday story here, but paywalled so I don't know more than that.

According to the image of the structure, combined with the Bing view, that is a major NY&A customer - Emjay Environmental Recycling?
Any further word on what's going on?
  by freightguy

Emjay went bankrupt and another waste consortium took it over. I believe they choose not to ship by rail. Emjay Environmental was only built in 2005/6 and received cars till like 2009 when the money ran out. The newer waste hauler in there doesn't ship by rail however I think they tried a test shipment through NYNJ.
  by Sir Ray

freightguy wrote:Emjay went bankrupt and another waste consortium took it over. I believe they choose not to ship by rail. Emjay Environmental was only built in 2005/6 and received cars till like 2009 when the money ran out. The newer waste hauler in there doesn't ship by rail however I think they tried a test shipment through NYNJ.
2009? The Bing views above, and Google images too, must not have been updated recently, since they still show quite an array of COFC flats and C&D hoppers on the lines behind and in the green building.
Are the C&D gondolas for some other customer (doesn't look like it - the COFC flats are definitely for Emjay, they are shown on the Bing view partly in the building)? Looks like when Island Rail Terminal moved in (that seems to be the company at the green transfer station now, not sure if Island Environmental that Jay mentioned is a shell company or not), NY&A took a big hit in traffic loss. Am I correct, or not?

ETA: Found this pdf document from Island Rail Terminal to the state DOEC. If I am reading it correctly, the (10) gondolas of C&D in the back are left over from the Emjay days, and another 15 rail cars (type not stated) were being brought back to the facility because they were rejected by the planned destinations (there is also mentioned of railcars stored in Ohio, among other things).
Oddly, while the letter is dated February 2013, there is mention of Emjay accepting materials prior to "August 2013" - either a typo, or some weird legal kink.
  by KEN PATRICK

who will pay to properly dispose of the 5600 tons of wet msw piled up in the building? since it has been watered , the ton total disposal cost will increase by 138%% . so if the t&d rate was $40 on 'dry' msw or $84k, it will now approximate $200k. when we transported waste by rail, we adhered to the clean floor 24 hour dec rule. it was not followed in this case. it is too easy for waste operators to build a cash cushion by piling waste on the floor. if the gate rate in this case was $65 this 2100 'dry 'pile generated $137k of cash. the dec is at fault. ken patrick
  by Sir Ray

KEN PATRICK wrote:who will pay to properly dispose of the 5600 tons of wet msw piled up in the building?
Don't know, but looks like it is being disposed of now, at least the stuff inside the green transfer structure.
Coming back from out east, passed by the site today. Demolition crews were busy disassembling the structure, and I believe the debris were being loaded into trucks. Half the transfer structure had been torn down already, and they were working on scrapping the roof when I passed by after lunch time. I passed at least one loaded dump body truck/trailer lettered for "Salvage" (not sure what company) as I drove up Emjay Blvd. The FD had a truck stationed there (I guess to handle hot spot flare-ups as they dig thru the debris) and the town had a mobile command center truck (expansion bay and antenna extended). I couldn't get a true count without trespassing (which wasn't going to happen), but there seemed to be several backhoe and diggers in operation on site.
I could see (thru the south end front entrance from Emjay*) several MSW containers on flat-cars in back - don't think I saw gondolas from that angle.
The sign by the front entrance stated the site was "Island Rail Terminal".

So, summing everything up
Emjay Environment build a reasonably sizable enclosed facility in 2006 or so (less than 10 years ago). Even better, it had inside rail loading only (judging from Bing aerial views -also, some views show NY&A switching the sidings).
Emjay seemed to have generated a fair amount of rail traffic for NY&A, judging from the number of railcars.
Emjay went of business in 2009 (any reason? shipping MSW seems to be a business with continued need, although I understand the loss of some C&D traffic at that time due to the housing downturn)
Island Rail Terminal (IRT) takes over the site, at some point, but doesn't use rail (ironic naming). There was a post from Feb 2013 that IRT was going to soon start use of rail again, but according to that letter I found they not only didn't plan to use rail, but wanted to get rid of the rail-cars behind the property. Did those rail-cars simply sit loaded and idle at that site for 3 or more years?
So...what did I miss in the summary?

*Looking at Bing, the Island Rail Terminal site seems to have only 1 entrance - the Firetruck and Fire Marshal's car was parked in the driveway of the business to the North of IRT
  by saucejstuder

Island rail did ship by rail for the first half of 2013. NYA tool a lot of cars out of that facility, but then the facility had yellow tape across the front entrance off of Emjay blvd and there were no rail shipments afterward.