Railroad Forums 

• Fire at Beech Grove

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1570313  by John_Perkowski

So Amtrak had an overnight fire in the paint and cleaning supplies warehouses at the Grove

Of note, the Indianapolis fire department could not find hydrants on the shop facility. Care to bet Amtrak’s going to get an OSHA fine for that little Faux pas?
 #1570319  by eolesen

Amtrak being on fire on its 50th anniversary should be an omen...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1570384  by Arborwayfan

west point wrote:Fire protection for old buildings is one of the big problems that many occupants neglect.
True. And in the case of a very old railroad facility, it took work to neglect it, because having hydrants scattered through a big yard isn't exactly a new idea. I used to have a c. 1910 Electric Railway Handbook that said that any yard should have hydrants, and even towers with nozzles on them for firefighting, throughout the yard so that a fire could be fought and cars moved out of danger at the same time, without hoses crossing the tracks. And the story makes it sound like there were no working hydrants anywhere in the yard, or at least not that part of the yard -- not just that the buildings didn't have sprinklers and standpipes and fire dept connections, but that there wasn't even water nearby. Or maybe the working hydrants are there, but poorly marked for finding in dark. Either way, not good, skipping basic precaution. At least the fire happened in a smallish building with no people in it and, it sounds like, easily replaceable supplies.
 #1570432  by west point

It has always been too easy for hydrant valves to get turned off in industrial facilities. I speak from experience.
 #1574733  by Gilbert B Norman

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we got him."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdin/pr/be ... k-facility
INDIANAPOLIS – A Beech Grove man was arrested today in Indianapolis on federal criminal charges related to his alleged setting fire to two buildings at the Amtrak Facility in Beech Grove, early morning on May 2, 2021.
 #1574804  by Gilbert B Norman

So this bad boy lived in Greenwood; well once upon a time?

Now he lives (well presently at "The Graybar") in Beech Grove.

I know both municipalities; Greenwood by far the more "civilized" of the two.