Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1251380  by poppyl

Matt Langworthy wrote: Do you think the excursion trains will return to Watkins Glen this year? I would love to ride that line again.
IMO, if something were going to happen this summer, we would have heard a little more about it by now from either WG folks or FGLK. So I'd say the odds are pretty low right now. My gut says that if anything were to happen it would involve only a few trips to gauge customer interest and probably tied in with some other weekend event such as the Italian festival.

I'll give the former poster a chance to see this thread. If we don't hear from him in a few days, I'll reach out to him off-line to see if he has any info.

Poppyl
 #1251543  by lvrr325

have heard some rumors excursions will return. But not on the WG line.

Service to Kendaia is as needed, which is pretty much how it's been for 30 years or more. Even under Conrail only once was I able to catch a train down there - and by the time I found it the crew was on lunch and all I could get was a couple shots of the engine in the yard there.
 #1256132  by BR&P

Well, here's almost exactly 4 years ago, March 6, 2010. The base is to the left (note the fence) and the gate is just behind the last car of the train. LV main used to be to the far right. The conductor is walking the brake test on the 33 cars, after which the train will depart for Geneva.

#1256155  by Matt Langworthy

Are the rumors true about #708 being sold? I have seen a photo of the switcher trailing on GS2, allegedly on the way to Syracuse for interchange to CSX and then west to a new owner in Ohio.
 #1256338  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:FWIW, follow up on what I'd heard about excursions, they changed their minds on it.
Nothing on their web site for 2014, yet...

http://fglkrail.com/passenger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1256389  by scharnhorst

BR&P wrote:
lakeshoredave wrote:how much longer are those cefx units going to be on the fglk?
Only until GE catches up on the orders and gets their new GEVOs built! :wink:

Lets be clear here did FGLK buy New GE Units? or is the FGLK having units rebuilt by GE?? I'm only asking before the fairy tale stories start flying around.
 #1256390  by Matt Langworthy

scharnhorst wrote:
BR&P wrote:
lakeshoredave wrote:how much longer are those cefx units going to be on the fglk?

Lets be clear here did FGLK buy New GE Units? or is the FGLK having units rebuilt by GE?? I'm only asking before the fairy tale stories start flying around.
I think BR&P was being sarcastic. ;)
 #1256412  by terms-d

BR&P wrote:
Yeah, I hear that'll happen around the same time Mike Smith paints 1943 into PRR heritage colors. At the rate things are going, FGLK still won't have the Corning Secondary by then.

Anyway, I believe it's already been said on these forums that the CEFXs are on a short-term lease, but I could be mistaken.
 #1256433  by BR&P

Scharnhorst, the little wink :wink: in my post was meant to indicate it was a joke, not fact. The NS heritage unit for NYC gives a good idea of what modern FGLK power would look like if it were real. Although I guarantee it would not be well suited for switching Victor Insulator, Phelps Supply or the Seneca Army Base!
 #1256478  by lvrr325

I don't know, a crew made it in and out of the Army Depot around 1994? (not long before Finger Lakes) with a CSX SD60-C408W set, at least per the WAGY-12 crew in the morning who were supposed to have brought the train in with their 4-axle unit. They were amazed the crew on what was a military train made it in and out without derailing.

Not that that track's seen much maintenance in that time, but it doesn't see much traffic either, so... and Finger Lakes completely redid the connection to the lead. If you could get to Route 5 without rolling or spreading any rails, you might be okay.

Either way, at least I got slides of CSX units in Geneva, that's something that will likely never happen again.
 #1256482  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:I don't know, a crew made it in and out of the Army Depot around 1994? (not long before Finger Lakes) with a CSX SD60-C408W set, at least per the WAGY-12 crew in the morning who were supposed to have brought the train in with their 4-axle unit. They were amazed the crew on what was a military train made it in and out without derailing.

Not that that track's seen much maintenance in that time, but it doesn't see much traffic either, so... and Finger Lakes completely redid the connection to the lead. If you could get to Route 5 without rolling or spreading any rails, you might be okay.

Either way, at least I got slides of CSX units in Geneva, that's something that will likely never happen again.
The CSX crew would have only gone to the yard in the above pic, outside the gate. I was referring to the track inside the base itself. Not all of it was bad but some places were not for the faint of heart.