Railroad Forums 

• Final Customers - Boston Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1442774  by mackdave

Based on the trucks and open space where the original radiator lovers were, it look like it was built from a pre-1952 Alco S-2.

Dave Mackay
 #1442778  by bostontrainguy

NYNE wrote:I took a trip over to Mary O'Malley State Park in Chelsea last week and saw a strange, old Alco switching the cement plant.
I cannot get the photo to post, so here is the link to my blog post: https://twentystates.blogspot.com/2017/ ... erett.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Internet tells me it was built in 1960 and was recently working in Kentucky. I don't anything more about it. I was hoping someone here might? Thanks.
That is one interesting picture. The orange round tank and that graffiti is incredible too! So there is no cab? Weird animal you found.
 #1442850  by GP40MC1118

From my roster notes:

AARX 101218 GE/Alco

Note 1: G.E. rebuild of an unknown Alco S-type switcher into a remote control slug. Has operator cabs on
both ends in the stairwells. Has no cab.
Unit came from the Sunny Knot Coal Mine (Lackey, Kentucky). Moved under AARX reporting marks.
Delivered 6/28/17 via CSX B721-28.

d
 #1442908  by NYNE

GP40MC1118 wrote:From my roster notes:

AARX 101218 GE/Alco

Note 1: G.E. rebuild of an unknown Alco S-type switcher into a remote control slug. Has operator cabs on
both ends in the stairwells. Has no cab.
Unit came from the Sunny Knot Coal Mine (Lackey, Kentucky). Moved under AARX reporting marks.
Delivered 6/28/17 via CSX B721-28.

d

Thanks Geep, great information.
 #1442920  by Backshophoss

Industry owned remote controlled switcher.
PAR would not be able to maintain an Alco prime mover,they would KILL it/scrap it.
 #1443046  by rb

How did that get in there without anyone noticing?! The cement terminal must be doing serious volume.
 #1443064  by GP40MC1118

It got proper notice when it finally got out of Willard in Ohio. There is some You Tube video
of it in transit on B721.

Ciment Quebec always wanted there own switcher, so they could do more respotting cars that PAR
could not provide on a consistent basis.

D
 #1443091  by BostonUrbEx

They're also looking to do more business, but can't get Pan Am to agree to consistently deliver cuts of cars more than just three days a week.
 #1443122  by rb

Thanks for the YouTube tip!

BTW, why is everyone calling this thing a slug? My understanding is that a slug has traction motors but no engine and must draw current from a paired locomotive.

In other words, a remote control unit is.....a remote control unit.
 #1443125  by F-line to Dudley via Park

rb wrote:Thanks for the YouTube tip!

BTW, why is everyone calling this thing a slug? My understanding is that a slug has traction motors but no engine and must draw current from a paired locomotive.

In other words, a remote control unit is.....a remote control unit.
Correct. A slug can't operate solo while remote control is...remote control.
 #1443174  by NYNE

I was watching it from my office window today shifting cars back and forth. I am about mile away and when I think of it I pick up the binoculars and scan the site. Which actually reminds me of another question I had. I used to see a few reefers coming in there too, but I haven't seen any recently. Are they still bringing cars into Preferred?
 #1443187  by BostonUrbEx

Preferred Freezer Services (PFS) was a CSX customer. I'm not sure they get much, if anything, these days. Most of CSX's business in Everett right now is scrap in/out of Schnitzer, with a sprinkling of New England Produce Center (NEPC) reefers.
 #1443213  by bostontrainguy

BostonUrbEx wrote:They're also looking to do more business, but can't get Pan Am to agree to consistently deliver cuts of cars more than just three days a week.
Can't they use CSX?