Railroad Forums 

• Final Customers - Boston Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1423511  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Herald's end-of-service coincides with a debt-cutting reorganization at the paper in which newsprint services were outsourced to The Globe. At least 10 years prior to the Globe's own outsourcing of its printing presses to the 'burbs. Was a big to-do because the Herald was at the time in one of its periodic "will they or won't they fold?" crises and the reorg was announced by a front-page, above-the-fold letter from the Owner/Publisher saying they were in it to stay...written with full-on 'Give 'em Hell!' flair. I'm gonna say '02-03 off the top of my head. It's one of the Herald's more famous front pages in its history so not hard to turn up the exact date on Google. The transitional handoff would've begun almost immediately after the announcement, which would date last CSX delivery to Harrison Ave. no later than couple of months after that front-page letter.

Last move to the Globe was 2013, I believe...absolute cutoff of 2014. Customer contract was canceled in 2015 shortly before the Globe announced in Nov./Dec. it was vacating Morrissey Blvd. HQ and moving the newsroom to new Downtown offices, but deliveries had already stopped a year prior to the official announcement. Moves had gotten very, very sporadic before the end and their siding had only seen a few final moves upon going back in service after the T finished its Old Colony concrete tie replacement project through Dorchester in Summer 2012.
 #1423868  by CRail

fogg1703 wrote:I'll add a few more former railroad customers in Boston proper:

Romar Warehouse
Western Ave Allston (Beacon Park Yard) CR/CSX Last service Late 2000's
I'm fairly certain that Romar was replaced by G&U Logistix in Hopedale, naturally being serviced by rail as it's owned by a railroad.
 #1423950  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CRail wrote:

Romar Warehouse
I'm fairly certain that Romar was replaced by G&U Logistix in Hopedale, naturally being serviced by rail as it's owned by a railroad.
Correct. CSX took the lead running point on getting them relocated out there when G&U Hopedale Yard opened so they could keep the business interchange-captive to themselves, and a bunch of the state/Harvard money that changed hands in the land swaps was threaded to Romar to underwrite their relocation costs.
 #1426331  by MaineCoonCat

B&M 1227 wrote:Agway in Waltham on the Central Mass. I want to say 1994?

Unknown Lumberyard in Sudbury was I believe the last customer on the southern end of the Framingham & Lowell. After the May 2000 derailment service was annulled.
Sudbury Lumber, nee Saxonville Lumber.
 #1431421  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

fogg1703 wrote:I'll add a few more former railroad customers in Boston proper

Romar Warehouse

Baystate Paper
River St Mattapan CR/CSX Last service Early 2000's

Unknown Scrap Dealer
Dorchester Ave S Boston Conrail Last service late 1990's

Boston Herald
Herald St CSX Last service late 2010's

Boston Globe
Morrissey Blvd CSX Last service late 2010's
The scrap dealer on Dot Ave in Southie was Har-Con Scrap. Last car pulled in either 2002 or 2003. The last car out of Baystate Paper was pulled in either 2004 or 2005. The last car pulled from the Boston Herald siding was no later than the spring of 2006. Sadly, I pulled the last car from the following industries while working my days as a Conductor for CSXT: HarCon Scrap, Boston Railway Terminal, Boston Herald, Bay State Paper, General Motors (RTE128 Industrial Park), Stock Lumber (East Walpole Industrial Track).
 #1431438  by bostontrainguy

Belle Steel
McClellan Highway East Boston Conrail Last service late 1990's

Romar Warehouse

Baystate Paper
River St Mattapan CR/CSX Last service Early 2000's

Unknown Scrap Dealer
Dorchester Ave S Boston Conrail Last service late 1990's

Boston Herald
Herald St CSX Last service late 2010's

Boston Globe
Morrissey Blvd CSX Last service late 2010's

I remember seeing a boxcar once and a while on the Fairmont Line just south of Columbia Road. Don't know what the company was. Looks like address is 16 Wyola Place.
 #1431453  by fogg1703

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:The scrap dealer on Dot Ave in Southie was Har-Con Scrap. Last car pulled in either 2002 or 2003. The last car out of Baystate Paper was pulled in either 2004 or 2005. The last car pulled from the Boston Herald siding was no later than the spring of 2006. Sadly, I pulled the last car from the following industries while working my days as a Conductor for CSXT: HarCon Scrap, Boston Railway Terminal, Boston Herald, Bay State Paper, General Motors (RTE128 Industrial Park), Stock Lumber (East Walpole Industrial Track).
Great info thanks. I guess my dates of end of service were a little off....
 #1431588  by BostonUrbEx

tom18287 wrote:ace lon on the saugus branch in malden late 90s i believe
Huh. Business is still there, too. Any idea what they received? I'm guessing some form of plastics or maybe paper?
 #1431839  by Jedijk88

what was the PC /Conrail spur that paralleled the Mass pike starting at the Allston tolls and headed west ? ( opposite side of the pike compared to the B&A mainline). I never heard the name of this spur but was supposedly still active into the 80's ?
 #1431846  by F-line to Dudley via Park

There were a bunch of customers on that thing, though don't know who the main anchor customer was as that was before my time enrolling at BU and moving here. Still a lot of chunks of that spur--especially the street-running--intact in spite of the total makeover of the area spanning BU West Campus and New Balance. Historic Aerials shows activity over there into the 1990's. I know it was dead before CSX took over, but it made it almost the whole way through the Conrail era.
 #1431863  by B&M 1227

i have vague memories of crossing this line in the late 90s when my dad would take me to beacon park. how much further west did it run?
 #1431873  by F-line to Dudley via Park

B&M 1227 wrote:i have vague memories of crossing this line in the late 90s when my dad would take me to beacon park. how much further west did it run?
Ran to the back loading dock of a building on Market St. End-to-end it was 2500 ft. Historic Aerials' 1987 topo view shows the track layout, with 4 sidings spurring off:

#1. east (backup move) to rear loading dock of building on Everett St.
#2. southeast (backup move, spur off #1) to Harvester St.
#3. west to building at present-day Crystal Transport lot behind Hitchborn St.
#4. westernmost @ Market St.

Street-running track still exists through the Stop & Shop parking lot, with fully intact Guest St. grade crossing. Section behind the fence where it used to junction with the main has been destroyed by Boston Landing station construction, and the portion past the Guest St. grade crossing is being erased by new post-2013 construction. Looks like the building on Market St. came down between 2005-07 per Historic Aerials, the factory building on Everett between 1995-2000, and the buildings the Harvester St. spur split are still there in heavily renovated form. The spur was relatively unchanged from 1938-1995 on aerial view, except for siding #3 being busted down from 2 parallel siding tracks between the '63-73 topos.