Railroad Forums 

• Final Customers - Boston Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1418424  by F-line to Dudley via Park

B&M 1227 wrote:Guilford gave up on North Acton in the 80s I think. Bay Colony took over the operation for the last few years.

Also cross-quoted from an older thread-
mick wrote:The local freight that served the Lexington Branch up until 1980 (yes it was 1980 not 1979) was down to two customers by the time operations ceased; New England Farms, a large produce warehouse in Arlington that got PFE reefers, and another buisness in Arlington whose name escapes me, they transloaded steel from flatcars at the small yard behind New England Farms on Water St. I never saw a car at Arlington Coal and Lumber after the Blizzard of '78, though they may have got some. Anyway, New England Farms moved it's operations to Readville, MA. in 1980, and the site is now condos. I remember seeing the last string of empty reefers go by with a GP-9 as I was at football practice at Spy Pond Field. The regular engine on this job for many years was B&M SW #1227.
Also, did anyone mention Mystic Wharves Branch? Did that make it to Guilford? It's almost entirely intact I believe?
Mystic Wharf Br. isn't abandoned. Guilford filed an initial abandonment claim late-90's, then Massport adverse-filed. They reached a settlement where Massport bought the branch outright but Guilford retained incumbent paper rights on right-of-first-refusal basis. If new biz comes along independently or by Massport's hand and they don't want to serve it, rights go out to competitive bid and CSX gets a crack at it. Which ends up being a de facto guarantee that PAR will never ever give up the rights or refuse to take on any new customer...because CSX is guaranteed to drive a wedge (even for small-potatoes revenue) as a competitive blocking move should they come within a sniff of an open bid. Everett + Southie + Quincy + Charlestown long-term port rights > Everett + Eastie under any calculation, so there's a lot competitive strategery involved in PAR keeping access parity around Port of Boston. NS would probably murder someone if the Billericadome ever farted this one away. This is highish-stakes chess positioning even when half those port industrial tracks are presently idle...because they probably will all be daily-active again at some point within the next 20 years serving a newly PanMax-dredged Port of Boston.

There's going to be decades' worth of public-investment projects riding that Harbor dredging's coattails and one-by-one making over every major port facility. Charlestown's well behind Southie-Marine Terminal at the top of Massport's multimodal priority pecking order, but they unequivocally want an eventual site master plan for Moran & Autoport expansion that includes revived rail traffic. It's a "when", not "if" question for its number getting drawn for public investment.
 #1419276  by NashuaActon&Boston

B&M 1227 wrote:Guilford gave up on North Acton in the 80s I think. Bay Colony took over the operation for the last few years.

Also cross-quoted from an older thread-
mick wrote:The local freight that served the Lexington Branch up until 1980 (yes it was 1980 not 1979) was down to two customers by the time operations ceased; New England Farms, a large produce warehouse in Arlington that got PFE reefers, and another buisness in Arlington whose name escapes me, they transloaded steel from flatcars at the small yard behind New England Farms on Water St. I never saw a car at Arlington Coal and Lumber after the Blizzard of '78, though they may have got some. Anyway, New England Farms moved it's operations to Readville, MA. in 1980, and the site is now condos. I remember seeing the last string of empty reefers go by with a GP-9 as I was at football practice at Spy Pond Field. The regular engine on this job for many years was B&M SW #1227.
Also, did anyone mention Mystic Wharves Branch? Did that make it to Guilford? It's almost entirely intact I believe?
According to the late Ellis Walker, who worked the BCLR North Acton branch as conductor in its final years, the last revenue train operated between North Acton (Acorn/Deck House- Rex Lumber - Wickes Lumber) and West Concord in 1993. The locomotive stayed in North Acton for a number of years after operations on the line had ceased. I have a slide of it at Wickes Lumber taken in 1997. Anyone know when/how it was eventually moved? I believe Wickes was out of business by 1997..
Looking over the notes I made of a conversation with Walker, he mentions three customers, Acorn/Deck House, Wickes Lumber and Rex Lumber. Once BCLR had taken over service of the line from Guilford, a 44-tonner, BLCR 411 was used. In 1992, BCLR deployed a more reliable centercab. My notes read "1992 Navy Locomotive Centercab" - Not sure if this is BLCR 412, a former USAF 44-tonner? Wickes Lumber received 30-45 cars a month until around 1989. By 1992, only Deck Houses was receiving freight, at one or two cars per-month. Around this time BCLR repaired a bridge and invested in new ties along the line. But traffic never returned; it ceased altogether in 1993. Walker sent me a nice collection of photos he took while working a turn in 1989. Need to scan. And I witnessed the line in operation in mid-1992, with the conductor flagging the crossing next to MCI Concord, one or two loaded boxcars headed to Acton. Wish I stuck around to see it cross busy Route 2! And speaking of crossing Route 2 - here's footage - Linked below is a fantastic video of a Mystic Valley Railway Society fantrip taken over the line in the late 1980s. A large crowd piled in a gondola, pouring rain - where were the lawyers?? :-D

https://vimeo.com/4662274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1419295  by GP40MC1118

BCLR 412 never went to the Acton Line. The 411 was the sole power except for a trackmobile.
The confusion may come from the fact that a USN Porter for the Portmouth Naval Shipyard was
trucked to N. Acton and stored there with the 411. I have shots of the two in residence.

The 411 was brought by an MBTA Work Train to Somerville and spent a few months down near
Innerbelt Road on the old Yard 9 lead. Some of us were lobbying for the MBTA to buy it for a
BET shop switcher. Of course, it never happened and a high-official in the MBTA CR division
ordered it off the property. The 411 eventually found its way to Southeastern Mass through
various moves.

The USN Porter got trucked to Aquidneck Island in R.I. and is privately owned. Kept with the
Old Colony & Newport equipment. PRSX 7349.

The 411 is still with us having been sold to Plant Railcar Services in 2/98, who in turn sold it
to the Adrian & Blissfield where it runs on their tourist line as Charlotte Southern 3.
It's a historically significant unit, being the last GE 44T built!

D
 #1420749  by bostontrainguy

BostonUrbEx wrote:MS Walker was switched the other day. Somerville's last customer still clings on for a little longer.
So wished they were the first business to locate on and reactivate the Mystic Wharf branch :(
 #1420801  by BostonUrbEx

They aren't switched often enough to be worth the effort of restoring the Mystic Wharf IT. Someone like Lafarge would also have to come online, but it is faster and more economical for them to receive their cement via barge, which I believe comes from Rockland, ME.
 #1420863  by fogg1703

BostonUrbEx wrote:Someone like Lafarge would also have to come online, but it is faster and more economical for them to receive their cement via barge, which I believe comes from Rockland, ME.
LaFarge receives cement by barge from Ravena NY (or other east coast plants i.e. Baltimore). It also receives cement by truck from its plant in St Constant QC and from its transload facility in Lunenburg MA. Coastal Cement operates the terminal in South Boston at the end of Track 61 which receives cement from Dragon via Rockland ME.
 #1420894  by bostontrainguy

fogg1703 wrote: Coastal Cement operates the terminal in South Boston at the end of Track 61 which receives cement from Dragon via Rockland ME.
Is that thing functioning? I've been by that several times over the last few years and have never seen any activity.
 #1420938  by fogg1703

bostontrainguy wrote:Is that thing functioning? I've been by that several times over the last few years and have never seen any activity.
Dragon might still be on its winter shutdown, but other than that its functioning. Not much activity to be had. Its a terminal not a batch plant so a bulk hauling truck pulls up and the driver loads himself and off he goes. Maybe an employee or two when the barge arrives, but other than that its a very passive operation.
 #1422632  by ButtersROW

Due to the GLX project, MS Walker is building a brand new facility in the former Stop and Shop site in Readville just behind the CSX yard. The Somerville location has limited months left before they close!
 #1423236  by jjoyce1

fogg1703 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Someone like Lafarge would also have to come online, but it is faster and more economical for them to receive their cement via barge, which I believe comes from Rockland, ME.
LaFarge receives cement by barge from Ravena NY (or other east coast plants i.e. Baltimore). It also receives cement by truck from its plant in St Constant QC and from its transload facility in Lunenburg MA. Coastal Cement operates the terminal in South Boston at the end of Track 61 which receives cement from Dragon via Rockland ME.
Lafarge* (now LafargeHolcim) only receives portland cement from LafargeHolcim's Ravena plant, and only by barge. BostonUrbEx is right, faster and vastly more economical to move large quantities by barge than via rail.

The Ste Constant plant serves Lunenburg, MA and Lebanon, NH terminals by rail. Lafarge Boston terminal also gets ground granulated blast furnace slag (brand name NewCem) by barge but since the merger and my having left their employ, I'm not sure if that's still coming out of Lafarge Sparrows Point (MD) NewCem plant, I believe it is since Holcim had to sell their Camden NJ plant as part of the merger.

The cement from Rockland originates at Elementia (former Dragon) plant in Thomaston. The only rail that Thomaston does into the Boston area is to Tresca Bros in Millis, on the Bay Colony.

Speaking of which, I also have one to add to the list that started this thread:

Ivex, Newton Upper Falls MA, Bay Colony Railroad (BCLR) served. Last documented move June 2006.

JAJ
 #1423405  by fogg1703

jjoyce1 wrote: Lafarge* (now LafargeHolcim) only receives portland cement from LafargeHolcim's Ravena plant, and only by barge. BostonUrbEx is right, faster and vastly more economical to move large quantities by barge than via rail.

The Ste Constant plant serves Lunenburg, MA and Lebanon, NH terminals by rail. Lafarge Boston terminal also gets ground granulated blast furnace slag (brand name NewCem) by barge but since the merger and my having left their employ, I'm not sure if that's still coming out of Lafarge Sparrows Point (MD) NewCem plant, I believe it is since Holcim had to sell their Camden NJ plant as part of the merger.
Thanks John for the clarification.
 #1423409  by fogg1703

I'll add a few more former railroad customers in Boston proper:

Belle Steel
McClellan Highway East Boston Conrail Last service late 1990's

Romar Warehouse
Western Ave Allston (Beacon Park Yard) CR/CSX Last service Late 2000's

Baystate Paper
River St Mattapan CR/CSX Last service Early 2000's

Unknown Scrap Dealer
Dorchester Ave S Boston Conrail Last service late 1990's

Boston Herald