Railroad Forums 

• FGLK unit spotted at Palmer, MA - 5/5

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#124265  by Otto Vondrak

My friend, a CSX conductor, spotted a Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) unit at Palmer today... anybody have any news or reasons why this unit is far from home?

-otto-

#124353  by NellsChoo

I don't know about Mass Central being owned by them, I just thought they bought the engine used. Looks nifty!
 #124384  by bwparker1

Not sure about ownership but a while back there was an annoucement that FGLK would be operating the Mass Central.

Who owns the track?

Brooks

#124566  by octr202

For purposes of illustration:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... l_Railroad

If you look closely, the 1703 is carrying FGLK reporting marks on the cab.

They've certainly had an interesting roster. The most unusual award goes to the ex-Southern Railway NW-5 (yes, there was an NW-5):

Also some ALCo's too...although i believe 4243 is on the Adirondak Scenic now:

As for who owns it, I seem to recall somewhere that the Commonwealth actually owns it, while Mass Central is the designated operator. But that's all speculation on my part -- I just seem to recall seeing a map with ownership marked as "EOTC."

#124585  by bwparker1

octr202

I think your right, the Commonwealth of Mass does own it and now FGLK is the designated operator.

Brooks
 #124603  by frrc

I think the commonwealth owns the trackage / right of way, and the MA Central has operating rights.

JoeF

#124671  by Dave Lieb

Thanks for the info on this. I spotted this unit at Palmer several months ago. I was wondering why a Mass Central Unit had the old NY Central scheme. I wasn't close enough to notice the FGLK reporting marks on the cab.
 #124829  by checexcitation

The MassCentral owns the first mile and a half or so from the CSX interchange. They also own the Bondsville Branch and yard tracks at Gibbs Crossing and Ware Yard. The EOTC owns the mainline north of Palmer (roughly the Rt. 181 crossing, and north)and has a renewable lease with the MCER. The Finger Lakes Railway has a management agreement with the MCER. FGLK GP9 1703 is on lease.
Hope this helps clarify the status of a very interesting and photogenic shortline. They are even doing small volumes of TOFC/COFC work again! Operations are daily M-F, and start at 0700

#125408  by NellsChoo

We have yet to see them operate. We have been told they only work weekdays, and early in the day. True?

#126037  by checexcitation

Unless the MassCentral needs to make interchange first thing in the morning, they are usually on their way north shortly after 0700. Chasing them is not too hard up to Forest Lake Jct. (Thorndyke is a good spot to catch them with the FGLK unit leading uphill and around a sweeping curve.)Then they are out of site for awhile. Gibbs Crossing transfer yard is usually switched mid morning, but I would not recommend going into the facility as you will probably be asked to leave. When the train arrives in Ware they spend alot of time switching. Kanzaki Paper almost always gets switched, and some interesting moves take place to spot them up. They go down a piece of the old B&M for about3/4 of a mile off the ex-B&A main. Views here and in Ware Yard are generally wide open and easy to see from public areas. If they go north to S. Barre for paper or steel coil cars, there are many great places to see them along Rt. 32. They usually finish up in the afternoon down at CSX, but may tie-up at the intermodal ramp if they can't get into Palmer Yard due to CSX, Amtrak, or NECR already being in the area.

#126129  by NellsChoo

That is the most info I have read on this little railroad! I didn't think their trackage actually went anyplace! Thing is, the drive out to the area usually takes at least an hour, usually more. 7am? Yaaaawn.... But it would be great to watch!

#126139  by octr202

Does anyone know the status of the NW-5? I imagine there will be some interest from railroad museums down south for that one if it ever leaves.

#129081  by BR&P

The 1703 arrived on MCER Tuesday October 5, 2004. And it's just now being noticed?!?