Railroad Forums 

• FEMALE NEW CONDUCTOR QUESTIONS

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1294878  by ndpride

Good morning, and thank you for accepting me as a new member. I recently received a conditional offer for a Conductor Trainee for BNSF. I have my medical appointment next week and my strength test the week after. I have been reading a lot of the posts on here, and I can see that I am just like the other newbies, sitting on pins and needles waiting for everything to clear. I was honest in every way, so I am not worried about that, just anxious to get started. From what I understand, the training classes should be starting in November.
I have previous experience working outdoors in the extreme cold and heat, and I used to have my CDL Class A with Hazmat, Passenger, and Airbrake endorsements. I am not overweight, I would say I am physically fit, but I don't believe that I have all that much upper body strength, although my shoulders are good and I have very strong legs. So after rambling on, I will get to my questions: :-D
As a female, it is my understanding that I will be a minority. Juddging from the group interviews, anyway, as there was only one other female there besides me. I want to make sure that I start off on the right foot, and not make myself stand out any more than the next guy. Do any of you have any suggestions? Do you believe a female can succeed in this position? The last few years I have been working in the cubicle maze of corporate America, and I am anxious to get out and start my new career with BNSF. I just want to make sure I don't make any ememies by doing or saying something stupid, stepping on toes, etc.
Thanks again for adding me as a member.
 #1294934  by ndpride

Really? How so? I'm a bit nervous because I am female and I want to be accepted by my coworkers. Any tips you can share would be wonderful. Maybe I should start lifting weights? Lol...
 #1295042  by COEN77

Hopefully one of my co-workers will see this post. She's been with the railroad for about 6 years now. She started as a conductor then become a signal maintainer on to a trainmaster now she's in the signal engineering department. She posts on here every now & then. I'll send her a message on FB.
 #1295047  by railgirl

I am the female that the above poster was speaking of. I was a conductor for about 3 years and then worked in signal construction for 2, then I tried being a trainmaster and now I am a signal construction engineer which is basically a signal construction supervisor. So I have a little experience.
My biggest advise is to remember that you are the minority and these guys don't have to change because you walked in the room. If you expect 95% of the people to change their behavior because you walked in the room you are going to be disappointed. That said I have always felt treated well and fairly by the guys I work with, there have been a few idiots, but you would have that anywhere and I have never felt threatened by any one I worked with.
Just do your job well and you should have no problems. There will be some awkward moments occasionally, just laugh at them and move on.

Good Luck in your new job

Michele

PS. my blog is http://www.railgirl.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you are more interested in my experiences or would like to contact me further
 #1295622  by ndpride

Thank you so much for your help. I passed the physical, vision, and hearing and am awaiting my strength test on October 14th. I'm scared I won't be strong enough!
 #1295817  by Engineer Spike

First, I bet they reduce the requirement on the strength test, since girls on average tend to be slightly smaller and not quite as strong. This is why boys and girls are in different categories in sports like running, bicycling.... Don't worry.

I have worked with several successful woman rails. It's all about attitude. There is a prejudice about women, since there have been cases of some manufacturing a discrimination or sexual harassment suit. Railroaders can be crude, but there is still a line as the what is appropriate. I think some look for a problem. This is said because Others have been very successful.

My advice is to be ready to learn. Don't ever say, "I know." Man or woman, the attitude of the instructor will be, if you know it all, then you get no more information. Sink or swim. Ask for more explanation if you don't get it. It is better than trying to fake it, then coming up short. One example is reading switch lists. Experienced switchmen can sometimes see shortcuts, which save a move later. Ask about it if you see a deviation from what the list says.

Just use logic and common sense. If you are unsure, ask before doing. This may save you from a fatal mistake.