Railroad Forums 

• Fed's promise $10B for new North River tunnels

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1357002  by pumpers

Some good news. The feds have committed $10B (half the price) for the 2 new tunnels to Penn Station (Amtrak Gateway tunnel I think they call it).
Our democratic senator Booker is actually saying nice things about Gov. CHristie in the press release (amazing what you will do for $10B!).
About the remaining $10B, NY and NJ car argue about how much NY puts in, if anything.
Hope springs eternal, Jim S
Federal officials have committed to funding at least half of the Gateway tunnel project under the Hudson River after state and federal officials agreed to create a development corporation to oversee the project, two U.S. senators and the governors of New Jersey and New York said in a joint statement.
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/201 ... river_home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would cross post onto the Amtrak forum if I knew how to do that.
 #1357046  by Hawaiitiki

Does anyone know that the $20Billion that everybody keeps throwing around will include the approaches from Newark (Quad tracking, New Portals, etc...) to the Tunnel Mouth or just the tunnels?
 #1357078  by bleet

Hawaiitiki wrote:Does anyone know that the $20Billion that everybody keeps throwing around will include the approaches from Newark (Quad tracking, New Portals, etc...) to the Tunnel Mouth or just the tunnels?
The Amtrak Gateway project page includes everything. So I'm guessing the $20B covers it all.
 #1357094  by SemperFidelis

Let's all hope and pray that the bodies of dead drug dealers and mafioso dumped in the meadows don't somehow count as endangered species or the project will never get rolling.
 #1357119  by Roadgeek Adam

SemperFidelis wrote:Let's all hope and pray that the bodies of dead drug dealers and mafioso dumped in the meadows don't somehow count as endangered species or the project will never get rolling.
Is Jimmy Hoffa's dead body possibly under there yet? :P It will become protected if he's found. :P
 #1357120  by philipmartin

SemperFidelis wrote:Let's all hope and pray that the bodies of dead drug dealers and mafioso dumped in the meadows don't somehow count as endangered species or the project will never get rolling.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
 #1357178  by mvb119

Officially the current tunnels are called the North River tunnels, regardless of what the river is actually called to the rest of the world. In all official documentation of the railroad, it is the North River Tunnels. I doubt that will change when 2 more are added.
 #1357181  by Roadgeek Adam

time wrote:Port Authority? Add another $20 billion and 10 years to the project scope.
And hope that Santiago Calatrava is not the architect.
 #1357204  by CLamb

mvb119 wrote:Officially the current tunnels are called the North River tunnels, regardless of what the river is actually called to the rest of the world. In all official documentation of the railroad, it is the North River Tunnels. I doubt that will change when 2 more are added.
The U.S. Board on Geographic Names has the river name listed as "Hudson River" in its database. There are 61 alternate names of which "North River" is one. This official recognition dates back to the Board's formation in 1890. I wonder why the PRR chose to name the tunnels after the "North River". http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=136:3 ... on%20River
 #1357216  by amtrakhogger

Fwik, the term North River actually was the name for the Hudson River from around Spuyten Duyvil southward to New York Bay.
 #1357271  by kilroy

We don't have to worry about that, they'll be plenty more of both in the future. :-D