Railroad Forums 

• FEC Unit Gravel Train in Bradenton?

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#756348  by sean3f

Today, I was over in Bradenton Florida and cought an FEC gravel train on CSX tracks! The 3 EMD's were delivering the train and had to knock off due to hours of service. I would expect the train to be returning tomorrow in the morning via tampa with the empties that are currently being unloaded.

Question is what are they doing soo far from home? Do they have trackage right's or maybe a power swap with CSX?
 #756534  by Noel Weaver

This is a train that originates on the FEC in Hialeah/Medley and travels on the FEC to West Palm Beach where it is inter-
changed to the CSX for operation to Bradenton. It runs with a FEC crew as far as West Palm and a CSX crew or crews beyond. As I understand it, this trains runs a couple of times a month.
It is a run through arrangement the same as other run through arrangements all over the country. Unfortunately CSX units
can't lead on the FEC due to the cab signal system in use but they can be used in the yard at Bowden (jacksonville) or as
trailing units on the main line.
Just a guess on my part but I suspect that when it comes time for CSX to pay back for the use of the FEC units they will
probably send a unit or two to Bowden for use on yard assignments there.

Noel Weaver