Railroad Forums 

• Favorite GE engine?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#129325  by AmtrakFan

I also like the P42 and the C30-7.

#131126  by csx7006

i like the older ger power as far forward as the c-40-8

#132445  by CNJGeep

thebigc wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:The U34CH, hands down. It was loud, smoky, and pwerful
More like loud, smoky and sluggish.

If you like loud, smoky, and powerful, try the E-60-CH!! :-D

Go for loud, angular, and powerful and choose the E-44. The best GE loco ever!!
HA!!! GOOD ONE!! HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY TO YOU TOO!!

#143045  by espeefoamer

Freight U33C. :-D
Passenger P30CH. :-D

#165509  by Bucyrus6150

I'd have to go with the C30-7. I love the way they look in Santa Fe colors. :-D

#166320  by GN 599

I have to say the U25B and U25C it is a shame more werent preserved. Although like the new GE's they probably were good pullers out on the road but if you have bad order cars to kick out before you leave town or any type of yard work you might as well forget about it. They load so slow, like a washing machine going into spin cycle. :-D

#166378  by UPRR engineer

Are those U25C's the motors with the two foot noses. The ones where if you tripped out the front door you would be face down in the ballast? And the crapper is where the electrical cabnet should be? Those were some cool old motors.

When i was a fireman, i had to do sometime at the pit. I told them i knew how to kill and restart a motor and that we were wasting our time by making me do it, but they said the round house forman (a good friend, lived only a block away from my parents house) said that it was something he wanted me to do. So we were up on this old GE on the pit, just after lunch, taking a smoke break, and they decided i was gonna restart this one. So i killed it, and i couldnt get it restarted. It would turn over just fine, but wouldnt fire up. After about 30 minutes of the pit guys and me looking for the problem with no luck, they called out the boss to come help. His first words were, "Peterson... what did you do now?!!" I laughed as i reminded him that this was one of the many things i didnt need to do over here. It was almost quitting time when the boss got it started. I think that was about the last time i got inside one of those old GE's.

#341778  by the missing link

mixed; memories of Conrail stone trains and locals around Danbury w/ b23s', I could allways tell when they were coming up the branch from the 'flop flop flop' sound a few miles away, they were loud!
chasing the new Susquehanna stacktrains up and down rt 23 in the late 80's when that was 'all the rage',
but my alltime faves have to be the 70 tonners, not very common in my time, but the Pinsly scheme looked great on the St J.
finally got to see some up close on the Modesto & Empire Traction last year, they keep them in great shape, and they work hard.
I work around several former Seaboard B36s' that are just awfull, I can attest to the 'kneenocker' steps, and the smoke, you feel like you smoked 2 packs by the end of your shift. granted, they are getting a little old, but the EMDs' we have 5-10 years older are still pretty sweet. The GE s' do remind me of the few Alco's Ive been lucky to ride in that, you can feel the track, the gears in the traction motors, all the slap/banging around inside the electrical cabinet, and almost similar gurgleing sound when theyre loading up . day in day out, id rather work w/ an EMD though.

#342210  by u25b

Surprisingly enough, my favourite is the U25B-but any U boat is ok with me. Oh and I reckon the UM20 was a great looking loco, especially in Erie colours.

Wes

#342979  by lock4244

The C40-8. There is a locomotive that looks all business. It's hip to be square and all that. IMHO, GE got it right with this locomotive... I prefer their look over the C40-8W or anyother GE for that matter.

Well, except for the C40-8M. I like these draper tapers as well... even though they were MLW killers :(

#343261  by Conrail1990

Mine are

C40-8W
Dash-9
ES44DC