Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#18743  by MickD

Are they still rush hour only during the week??I've gotta get some photo's myself.

#19080  by 7 Train

Do they contain asbestos or PCB's? I'm gussing yes, since they date from the mid 1950s/early 1960s. If so, that would make scrapping very difficult. Look what happened to the Redbirds. Will the ACMUs follow the same fate-sunk off Florida or somewhere?

#19093  by DutchRailnut

PCB 's are only located in things having transformers, so that kind of leaves DC cars out. and if you read the other post in this tread , I explained they are sold to a person in Pennsylvania.

#19146  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

roee wrote:I agree with Dutch... There seems to be a lot of people complaining that none of these cars are going to be saved, but does anyone know any groups that tried or wanted to save these cars? It's seems like lets bash the MTA for selling the cars... but lets not realistily look at the situation.
Guys, I'm not bashing the MTA. I'm just sounding my frustration that these cars are not going to be saved for history. Some people are so sensitive. How many pieces of Pennsy equipment are lying around? Tons. Loads of GG1's, MP54's, etc. Almost no New York Central equipment. No Hudson's, P-Motors or 4000 series coaches. Just one poor Mohawk at the National New York Central Museum and it's in pretty sorry shape.