Railroad Forums 

• Fate of Streamlining Shrouds for Dreyfuss J3A Hudsons

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#491341  by jeremimus

It may be a strange question to ask, but does anyone know what happened to the streamline shrouding after the parts were removed from the J3As in the late 40's? Were the pieces simply scrapped or have they been squirreled away in some forgotten museum(s) or laying in the hands of a private collector(s)?

Jeremy
 #491510  by jeremimus

Thanks Scot - I thought that was the most likely outcome. Even in an unsentimental era you would have thought that someone would have recognized what was happening to an iconic part of Americana and stepped in to preserve it. Here in NSW, Australia we have preserved at least one example of each class of locomotive including a few in operating order. Our 38 class pacifics - or at least the first 5 streamline ones - were said to have been influenced by the J3As, however, they more closely resemble the New Haven's I5 Shoreliners. Class leader 3801 (streamlined) has been preserved in working order by a private company for enthusiast specials, while the last of the class, unstreamlined 3830 has recently been restored to working order and is in striking green livery.
Jeremy

#491888  by lvrr325

It's entirely possible someone might have saved a piece or two, but there's no way to know what's in someone's private collection, or tucked away forgotten in a basement or garage or whatever.

#492068  by CarterB

Quite frankly, I am surprised the shrouding lasted through WWII, what with the steel shortages/needs. They sure were beautiful beasts!!
 #1052130  by janicholls

Slightly off topic, but I too am from Australia. While wandering around Enfield Loco Depot in the late 60's, I remember seeing the streamlined nose cone complete with headlight from 3803 (chalked on it) with "save" also chalked. Presumably this is in someone's private collection as I don't know of a museum that has it on display.