Railroad Forums 

• Fatal Crash in Emerson

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1344930  by SemperFidelis

Surprised no one has posted this yet.

This morning an elderly man apparently became disoriented and ended up driving his vehicle along the Pascack Valley Line's tracks in Emerson. A commuter train struck his vehicle and he was killed. No one aboard the train was injured. Service along the PVL was suspended for some time while an investigation was conducted.

http://m.poconorecord.com/article/20150 ... 01188/NEWS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts and prayers to the victim, the victim's family, and the train's crew.
 #1344955  by airman00

What I don't understand since this was all over the morning news, is why or how it ended up being a fatal accident. The train in question was a local not an express and was at the Emerson station. The train would've been going slow not fast so the engineer would've had time to stop. Unless the driver of the car was going fast. This whole situation is very odd.
 #1345000  by airman00

I apologize then. What I was trying to say was that the train was close enough to Emerson station that I thought it would've been just slow enough to stop. Then again trains do pick up speed somewhat quickly. And so I see your points, I was wrong.