Railroad Forums 

• Farewell to Fellow Contributor and Friend, Jtgshu

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1233163  by IRFCA_RRfan

Came back on the site after many months and really shocked to hear this. :(
Heartfelt condolences to all near and dear from our family - he helped many years ago in ways only he can.
RIP John. We will always miss you.
 #1237878  by philipmartin

For what it is worth, when JT's name was put on the list of recently deceased employees on Transit's house organ, "Enroute," I attached the following statement. "J.T. Gaughran, among his activities, was a prolific contributor to the website "railroad.net." which is about railroading. A lot of people there were shocked by his early death."
 #1239360  by Idiot Railfan

Wow, I've been away from this board for a while and I just read this. Can't believe it! I, too, never met JT in person, but had many great chats with him here. He was one of the few consistently sane voices on this board. I will miss him!
 #1251588  by ACeInTheHole

I happened to see the 4002 at Millburn recently. Which was the last engine John ran, and framed it here with this clear signal on purpose. I was thinking of him as I took this shot. My hope is that it conveys a thought from all of us here, as a way to wish him the clearest of signals and that he is at peace where he is. Miss ya John. RIP.
 #1251590  by MBTA1016

ACeInTheHole wrote:Image
I happened to see the 4002 at Millburn recently. Which was the last engine John ran, and framed it here with this clear signal on purpose. I was thinking of him as I took this shot. My hope is that it conveys a thought from all of us here, as a way to wish him the clearest of signals and that he is at peace where he is. Miss ya John. RIP.
I echo the above. I hope the ride is smooth as well. RIP Jt.
 #1251595  by Don31

Wow, great shot! And an even greater thought!
 #1251640  by nick11a

MACTRAXX wrote:
ACE: Agreed...This engine should have "John Gaughran - NJT Locomotive Engineer 1978-2013" on a plaque inside the cab - As Sully mentioned NJT
does not name specific equipment on the outside after deceased employees but if his family,friends and co-workers were willing to get NJT to allow
this option it should be done...In any case PL42 4002 should be known by us as the "J.T." in his memory...

MACTRAXX
Believe me folks, John would really appreciate your sentiment... he would. But he'd also be the first to tell you that it wouldn't happen. I've been thinking about John lately myself... and I find myself wanting to call him up like I used to and chat. That ain't gonna happen either.

John would tell you all to do something nice for people. He'd be real honored by that. He'd also tell you to do what you like in life and enjoy it to the fullest. Lord knows, he did.
 #1251682  by MBTA1016

Amen nick. I'm still getting used to Jt not posting. The people we lost on here won't be forgotten by anyone on here at all, and their memories will still live on in each of us. It's sad they are gone and aren't with us today. But what matters is that we honor their name and their passion. That's what that pic was about(I'm not speaking for ACE, formally beanbag), I'm speaking for the people on rr.net we lost.

Not to take away from John at all here. But I had found out of his passing only 15-20mins after I learned of 3rdrail's passing(over in the mbta forum) the same day. The time that Jt was posting when I was here(in the njt forum) I grew to like him for his insight and his humor. He could defuse an argument like a switch. We know they aren't here physically but they are still with us. We can have ideas like the plaque mactraxx suggested but we are better off honoring their passions and their memories.

All I can say for all the people we lost on here, may you all have clear signals and smooth rails all the way. You've earned it. R.I.P.